Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiddle-Faddle

Creme Brulee French Toast

I got the idea for this from the hotel restaurant, and the recipe is straight off of allrecipes.com.

Apologies if everyone has already seen this--there are a ton of recipes for this on the Internet. All we need to do is use gluten-free bread (and how many of us have dried-out gluten-free bread in our freezers???)! Those who are also unable to have dairy can substitute coconut milk (or whatever milk substitute) plus a bit of coconut oil for the cream and coconut oil for the butter.

Enjoy!!!!

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons corn syrup

6 (1 inch thick) slices French bread

5 eggs

1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon brandy-based orange liqueur (Grand Marnier

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

ooh, sounds yummy! have you tried it?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Not yet, but if I get organized, I'll try it this week. The comments on allrecipes.com are all raves!

And the chef who used my gluten-free bread to make Creme Brulee French Toast in the hotel didn't tell me his recipe, so I don't know if it was exactly the same as this, but, boy, it was good!!! It was ready in 10 minutes, so I suspect it wasn't baked, but fried on the griddle, so maybe it'll be even better soaked overnight and baked.