Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ElenaDragon

Best All Purpose Baking Flour?

I'm new to gluten-free, and I'm looking for a good all purpose flour I can use in muffins and pancakes and such (from scratch, no mixes). I'm open to suggestions, let me know what you like! I shop at Whole Foods, so something I can buy there, like Bob's Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills, would be best.

I'm new to gluten-free, and I'm looking for a good all purpose flour I can use in muffins and pancakes and such (from scratch, no mixes). I'm open to suggestions, let me know what you like! I shop at Whole Foods, so something I can buy there, like Bob's Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills, would be best.

I have had good luck with Bob's Red Mill, but I like Guten Free Pantry also. Add a bit more liquid than called for when making pancakes, otherwise they will be too heavy.

Guest j_mommy

I also use Bob's Red mill...I've used it in alot of different things and loved them all!

I can't stand garbanzo bean flour or soy flour and many pre-made flour mixes, like Bob's Red Mill, contain lots of it. I make my own. It's really easy. I have tried two different mixes and both have worked out fantastic. You would not even be able to tell that the things that I made were gluten free! I just make up a bunch in advance.

3 parts white rice flour, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch/flour

OR

1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca starch/flour, 1 cup cornstarch, 1 TBSP potato flour

**In both cases use 1 tsp xanthan gum per 1.5 cups flour.

Guest j_mommy

No it does not have soy.

Ingredients are: Garbanzo bean flour, Potato starch. Tapioca Flour, White sorghum flour, Fava Bean flour.

Personally, it does not have a strong flavor and blends well in everything.

When I was first diagnosed I used the pre-made flour mixtures, and always thought the taste was a bit off and sometimes grainy. I then started making my own flour mixtures following the measurements in Annalise Roberts book. Perfection! It may be pricier to buy all the different flours to make your own, but in my opinion it's the key to making gluten free items taste exactly like their gluten containing counterparts. Well worth it.

I use Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix for everything and I love it! From pumpkin bread to fried okra- it's my go to flour. It also makes pancakes so good you can't tell they are gluten free. I am sure I could make up a comparable mix but I am too lazy.

I use Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix for everything and I love it! From pumpkin bread to fried okra- it's my go to flour. It also makes pancakes so good you can't tell they are gluten free. I am sure I could make up a comparable mix but I am too lazy.

Pamela's-me too, I use it for EVERYTHING flour. No weird aftertastes. Free shipping and cheaper to buy on amazon...

I don't think I'm quite ready to start mixing my own flours... unless gluten-free turns out to be a permanent thing for me. I'm doing a trial right now, so I want something easy, lol.

I'm looking at Pamela's "Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix" on Amazon (link not working), and it says it has buttermilk in it? Is this the mix that you two are referring to? I'm no dairy also, so buttermilk is out. Looks like it also has baking powder and baking soda, so it's more than just a flour replacement.