This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Do I Feel So Full?

polly123

polly123 Newbie

Hello!

have been having a fabulous time poking around this site while i wait for my "diagnosis." Recently had several blood tests, and when I went in for the results my DR. was on holidays, so I had a more-than-useless replacement. She told me that the only abnormal result was my "gluten test" and when I asked what that meant she said that she couldn't tell me, that only I know my body. K, that's pretty useless. I pushed for info but she simply told me that I could eat gluten or not, it's up to me. I'm scheduled for ultra-sounds tomorrow, and will see my regular DR. for those results, and will have him explain it to me then.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to what I have now. My DR suggested avoiding gluten for a while, during the beginning screening process of blood work, and see if it helps my list of symptoms. I have been MOSTLY off gluten for 2 weeks, and must say, I feel much much better. However, I was invited to a very swanky business lunch yesterday, and all sorts of delicious buns and dumplings were dumped on my plate. I ate them so as not to appear rude (dumb i know, but i'm not diagnosed, so I didn't want to protest and try to explain.). It has been more than 24 hrs since that lunch and I am still feeling "full." Honestly I feel like there is a brick just sitting in my stomach. I have tried to force down a bit of fruit, but I have absolutely no appetite. I feel like I just ate a huge meal. My stomach cramps have also returned, which is strange because I didn't think that I was quite so accutely sensitive, but perhaps the lack of gluten caused my body to be "shocked" by the sudden influx?

ANyway, the full feeling is very uncomfortable and disconcerting. I feel slightly nauseaus. But not bad. Mostly like a semi-trailer packed with buns and dumplings just got lodged in my tummy.

Appreciate any feedback someone could offer......!!!!!!!!! THANKS! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

I just wanted to say, you have the right to get a hold of the gluten tests and if you want to post them here, we'll help you interpret them. Now, I don't know why your doctor is sending you for an ultrasound. Mine did that and I found out later they can't do anything with the results unless you have a tumor (they basically send you for one when they don't know what is wrong...doesn't mean they think you have a tumor, they just have to rule it out). The only way to diagnose Celiac is with an endoscopy or blood tests. If you go off of gluten, your tests aren't going to be accurate. You must actively be eating gluten to get accurate results.

Good luck!

Kassandra

Lisa Mentor

I am sorry that you are not feeling well.

But what concerns me the most is that you DR informed you to go gluten free during the screening process. You must remain on gluten to achieve the most accurate testing possible. Even given that the blood testing is not always the most reliable.

If you DR is looking for Celiac, an ultrasound will not indicate anything. An endoscopy exam should be the next course of action for a diagnoses.

Pepcid OTC or Pepto may help with the bloating.

Hope you feel better soon.

polly123 Newbie

Thank you thank you for input.

They are testing with an US because I have a history of ovarian cysts, and they want to check out the pain in my side. This is different than cyst pain, and I have had times in the past where i had pain, thought it was a cyst and the US turned up negative. I have now learned to differentiate the pain. But they want to do it anyway (I get the day off work, so I'm not going to complain!) ;)

I think he wanted me to try avoiding gluten at first to see if it made a difference. Which I feel it has. So I will work gluten back into my diet until I have some sort of diffinitive answer, so as to ensure accurate results. Even if I come up with all negative results for Celiac's, I will most likely cut it out anyway, since it is so far helping quite a bit!

When I had teh blood tests I was still eating gluten, which probably helps explain the "gluten sensitivity." When I re-visit for US results I will ask for a copy. My regular DR is coming back in a couple of weeks, and he is great at explaining things in full detail, and not treating his patients like idiots.

Thank you again. I appreciate your support!!!!!!!

Lisa Mentor
Thank you thank you for input.

They are testing with an US because I have a history of ovarian cysts, and they want to check out the pain in my side. This is different than cyst pain, and I have had times in the past where i had pain, thought it was a cyst and the US turned up negative. I have now learned to differentiate the pain. But they want to do it anyway (I get the day off work, so I'm not going to complain!) ;)

I think he wanted me to try avoiding gluten at first to see if it made a difference. Which I feel it has. So I will work gluten back into my diet until I have some sort of diffinitive answer, so as to ensure accurate results. Even if I come up with all negative results for Celiac's, I will most likely cut it out anyway, since it is so far helping quite a bit!

When I had teh blood tests I was still eating gluten, which probably helps explain the "gluten sensitivity." When I re-visit for US results I will ask for a copy. My regular DR is coming back in a couple of weeks, and he is great at explaining things in full detail, and not treating his patients like idiots.

Thank you again. I appreciate your support!!!!!!!

Good, well, keep us posted about your results. In the mean time absorb as much as you can. (information, I mean :rolleyes: )

polly123 Newbie

Lovin the feedback. You guys are great!!! :)

But has anyone had that lump in your belly full feeling? It's freakin me out that I can't eat anything today.

Janessa Rookie

I absolutely get that super full feeling and my stomach gets so bloated it looks like I'm pregnant, and it feels so sensitive I can't really eat when that happens either

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived