This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My "compliment"

imsohungry

imsohungry Collaborator

This week I have baked several gluten-free "specialty" items from scratch. I made banana nut bread on Monday and a coconut cake yesterday. Both tasted awesome!

My hubby gave me a "compliment" in the kitchen last night. While eating his cake, he looked over at me and said, "This is really good. Do you remember how everything you used to make tasted terrible? :huh: I'm glad you're getting used to baking without wheat flour because you were really making nasty stuff in the beginning." He continued, "But this isn't gross at all, it's really really good."

And then he cut himself a second slice. Now, I could have focused on the negative....but, I must confess that he is right. I have fed him some disgusting things while learning to cook gluten-free (Hence, his understandable aversion to my food). But, I am happy to say, he went back for "seconds" of cake.

That is compliment enough. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

A great feeling when what your cooking/baking doesn't look and taste like cardboard!!!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Aw, that is great, ImSoHungry!

Jestgar Rising Star
"But this isn't gross at all, ..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How did you not fall on the floor laughing!

imsohungry Collaborator
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How did you not fall on the floor laughing!

It was VERY hard not to laugh at him... what made it so funny was that he wasn't trying to be funny... he was just stating the facts.

One time last year he asked me bluntly if I was trying to kill him. He asked that I "please put the poison all in one meal for a quick death!" :huh: He wasn't being mean to me...I had just brought him a plate with a burnt porkchop and a pile of bright orange cornbread crumbles (I hid the burnt porkchop under the pile of ruined cornbread for a surprise). ;)

For nearly a year, my husband was my gluten-free guinea pig. Ain't life grand?! :P

Karen B. Explorer
It was VERY hard not to laugh at him... what made it so funny was that he wasn't trying to be funny... he was just stating the facts.

One time last year he asked me bluntly if I was trying to kill him. He asked that I "please put the poison all in one meal for a quick death!" :huh: He wasn't being mean to me...I had just brought him a plate with a burnt porkchop and a pile of bright orange cornbread crumbles (I hid the burnt porkchop under the pile of ruined cornbread for a surprise). ;)

For nearly a year, my husband was my gluten-free guinea pig. Ain't life grand?! :P

God love that man! I've made corn bread crumbs myself, but you can't blame the pork chop on gluten. B)

What did you do to make the cornbread orange? I might want to use that on somebody I don't like someday. :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Doll

LOL! That is too funny! :lol: Glad you have mastered the art (science?) of gluten-free baking! I remember when I made what was *supposed* to be shortbread cookies. They spread all out over the pan like a melted gooey pizza. I ate them with a spoon. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imsohungry Collaborator
God love that man! I've made corn bread crumbs myself, but you can't blame the pork chop on gluten. B)

What did you do to make the cornbread orange? I might want to use that on somebody I don't like someday. :lol::lol::lol:

No, I can't blame the pork chop on gluten. ;) I blame it on ten years of college and no time (or desire) to cook. A word of advice: thin sliced chops don't need to be in the oven for an hour and a half on 375. :rolleyes:

I think the cornbread took on a yellow-orange "glow" because I used a lot of soy flour and the course milled cornmeal. All I know is that when I pulled it out of the oven, it hurt my eyes to look directly at it! :P

And Doll,

I've been there with the cookie thing too! The big question is...did your pizza cookie taste good? ;)

Karen B. Explorer

You remind me of something I told my hubby a long time ago during an Enjoli (sp?)perfume commercial. Remember the one with the woman in a slinky dress belting out "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never let you forget you're a man" while swinging her hips and a skillet around?

I told my hubby "Pick 2 out of 3"

:lol:

Guest micah
You remind me of something I told my hubby a long time ago during an Enjoli (sp?)perfume commercial. Remember the one with the woman in a slinky dress belting out "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never let you forget you're a man" while swinging her hips and a skillet around?

I told my hubby "Pick 2 out of 3"

:lol:

That is so funny!!! I remember that commercial, :P but the way you put it made it funnier than the commercial ever was! Thanks for the laugh!

I'm also laughing at the "glowing cornbread that makes your eyes hurt to look at it." Sounds like some of my cooking (I use the term loosely) LOL!!!!

Micah

Karen B. Explorer
That is so funny!!! I remember that commercial, :P but the way you put it made it funnier than the commercial ever was! Thanks for the laugh!

I'm also laughing at the "glowing cornbread that makes your eyes hurt to look at it." Sounds like some of my cooking (I use the term loosely) LOL!!!!

Micah

Actually, I can think of a few people I would enjoy serving that cornbread to. ;)

Archived