Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I mistakenly licked a Mead envelope. Does anyone know if this brand of envelope glue has gluten in it? I'm so dumb!

Don't know but I hope you have a good experience.

It depends very much on the brand. Most ones manufactured in Canada and the US are safe; the adhesive is not wheat derived.

I know that, in Canada, Hilroy uses a corn base for their adhesive. I think the Hilroy brand is only sold in Canada. Hilroy is owned by Mead, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all Mead brands are safe.

It depends very much on the brand. Most ones manufactured in Canada and the US are safe; the adhesive is not wheat derived.

I know that, in Canada, Hilroy uses a corn base for their adhesive. I think the Hilroy brand is only sold in Canada. Hilroy is owned by Mead, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all Mead brands are safe.

Ah, thank you so much. I feel better. The Mead envelopes are made in the US. I am waiting to hear back from the company for confirmation.

we've yet to see on this board a confirmed case of an envelope glue with gluten. in fact, when the major glue company was called, they kinda were amused at the idea. I see it as a celiac urban legend.

if you do have a *confirmed* case of a gluten laced envelope glue, please do share it.

I have never seen a confirmed case of gluten in envelope adhesive (or on stamps). Like Tiffany, I think of this as another celiac myth. If anyone has contrary evidence I would welcome it.

Oh thank you so much everyone. I found it odd that there might be gluten in glue, but then again, you never know where it can be. I did find a letter from the glue/adhesive association and they said that their most (if not all) glues all derived from corn or tapioca. Thank you so very much. I feel better! :)