Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Gluten Is Developed In The Dough?

Whole Foods has a new gluten-free product in their gluten-free lineup: already formed, frozen pie shells.

Hello! This has probably been said but.... I also hold a B.S. in Biology and currently work as a chemist for a Biopharm company. The best way to think of it is like this: The major protien in an egg is "Albumin" which is mainly the egg white. If you were to develop the "Albumin" you would do something mechanical to it, like whip it into a froth. Gluten is THE main protein found in Wheat. To develop gluten you mechanically agitate it by kneading.

Hello! This has probably been said but.... I also hold a B.S. in Biology and currently work as a chemist for a Biopharm company. The best way to think of it is like this: The major protien in an egg is "Albumin" which is mainly the egg white. If you were to develop the "Albumin" you would do something mechanical to it, like whip it into a froth. Gluten is THE main protein found in Wheat. To develop gluten you mechanically agitate it by kneading.

I read the whole thread and can't help myself from adding, even though the "friend" is a lost cause. Before diagnosis, I was a hard-core bread baker. Every book, TV show, etc. on baking bread talks about "developing the gluten." It's a very common baking term, in addition to a mechanical action as bump pointed out. A bunch of people have already described foods with well developed gluten vs. underdeveloped gluten, but lots of books will even use the words "be careful to not develop too much gluten." It's a misleading word, really.

If "develop" meant to create, alchemy would have "developed" gold all those years ago! Ha!

I minored in biology and aced organic chemistry, FWIW.

There are some very good answers on here, guys. Keep 'em coming! Even though this friend might be lost, there might be a next time with somebody else, where I or we are able to explain better...

I've never had a baby, but someone once offered me the following advice:

Wait as long as you can before going to the hospital, and eat before you go because they don't let you eat when you're there.

But eat light! The last thing you need in your system is greasy heavy food during labor.

Unless that woman answers me again, I'm not going to talk to her any longer. I don't need any additional worries right now. But thanks you all so much for your much needed advice. I appreciate very much. But you're right, she should have an over-do on her degree... lol.

So, thanks for your encouraging words with the baby. Yes, it sounds like it's really not much longer. I already had a couple of times where I thought "So this must be it", but after I drank some water and lied down everything went back to normal, so it must have been false alarm :o . I know the first time I got those twinges in my lower belly I was so excited and ran around like a crazy chicken. I'm like "I'm going to meet my baby... I'm going to meet my baby!" but then... nothing <_< . This happened a couple of times now and it's starting to get boring. I bet when it really happens, I'm going to be so relaxed and so whatever, I will be in and out of l&d in a heartbeat :rolleyes: ... lol. My doc said the same thing. He's like "Hm, you're probably like 'in... out.... bye'!" :lol:

I had a lot of those "false" labor contractions / braxton hicks with my daughter (none at all with my son).

When I finally went into "real" labor, I kept calling them braxton hicks contractions :huh: . It took me awhile to realize that they were getting stronger and not going away! My mother and sister laughed when I finally said, I think this is the real thing... (they already had figured that out).

Pregnant women are so funny.

I had a boss who was very pregnant and I asked her when her baby was due. She said, well, I've been in labor since about three this morning so hopefully sometime this afternoon. I asked why she had even come in to work and she said she didn't want to sit around and be bored.

Pregnant women are so funny.

I had a boss who was very pregnant and I asked her when her baby was due. She said, well, I've been in labor since about three this morning so hopefully sometime this afternoon. I asked why she had even come in to work and she said she didn't want to sit around and be bored.

Sounds like my sister in law. With her last baby, she had us all at her house playing video games practically until pushing. Then she went to the hospital. Now I can add "watching woman in labor play Guitar Hero and kick my butt at it" to my life's resume. It sure was more fun for her than laying in a hospital bed for hours, though!