Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ursa Major

Just Checking In

Guten Tag, liebe Freunde!

Okay, I haven't entirely forgotten my English yet. :huh:

I flew to Germany with Air Transat (a Canadian Charter airline out of Montreal) from Toronto to Hamburg, Germany, on a direct flight. The first flight home without having to transfer somewhere, which was a treat.

Air Transat offers gluten-free food on their flights. Of course, you have to let them know well ahead of time. Their gluten-free food looked tons better than their regular fare, especially the breakfast! For the first time I was glad to have celiac disease. B)

I found amazing food here, and know that I won't be able to get it when I go back to Canada. I am already sad about that.

They have a buckwheat bread that looks and tastes just like regular rye pumpernickel! I am in heaven. Also, I found Swedish Wasa crisp bread. Since it gives ingredients in Swedish, Danish, Dutch, German, Italien, Spanish, and French, but not in English, I don't expect that they export it to any English speaking countries. Rats. :(

So, while I am here, I can eat bread, but will have to give up bread again entirely when going back to Canada.

The best place to buy the pumpernickel bread is a chain called 'Budnikowski', because it is less expensive (and easier to find) than the health food stores, called 'Reformhaus'.

But the Reformhaus has a much greater selection of gluten-free foods, several shelves of it. I's amazing.

Okay, I have to go, my brother calls.

Will be back soon.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yea for great gluten-free bread!!! It does my heart good to hear that you're enjoying yourself and eating so well.

Take care, Ursa, and thanks for checking in :)

PS--You are missed here ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Take care, Ursa, and thanks for checking in :)

PS--You are missed here ;)

!!!!!!!!! :)

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Guten Tag Freund!

Hast du bin?

Hi Ursa,

nice to see you again, I took a few years of german in Highschool and I still speak to my german teacher using german all the time. Enjoy your trip!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Thanks for checking in Ursa!

I'm so glad to hear you are having a wonderful time. Much needed. Maybe you could bring some bread back home. :unsure:

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Na, Ursa, wie geht's? Ich war lange nicht mehr hier im Forum...

Now I just checked back into this forum yesterday and today and what do I read? Ursa is in Germany! Cool, I might go back at the end of August, beginning of September, but I'm not sure about that yet. Did you find glutenfree "Kaiserbroetchen" over there? Because I can't ask my mom that, she's absolutely lost, so I thought, I ask an insider... Oh, btw, I'm sending myself food packages sometimes, when I find a nice bargain over there. Have fun, while you're there!

Stef

Next goals:

Results for 2011:

1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting

August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)

gluten-free since 07/21/2004

Shermans Dale, PA

Hi Ursa - I'm glad you're having a good time! You deserve it! :rolleyes:

By the way, Pauliina's right. Who needs clothes? You can always buy more when you get home.

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic