This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Scoped

melrobsings

melrobsings Contributor

I'm getting scoped AGAIN....so I was just wondering how often everyone gets scoped.

This is my 2nd time this year....and any advice on drinking that horrid crap? I ALWAYS get right to the last glass and barf it all up and have to start over with ducolax and phospho soda or whatever they are called.

I'm over it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Teacher1958 Apprentice
I'm getting scoped AGAIN....so I was just wondering how often everyone gets scoped.

This is my 2nd time this year....and any advice on drinking that horrid crap? I ALWAYS get right to the last glass and barf it all up and have to start over with ducolax and phospho soda or whatever they are called.

I'm over it!

I don't know much about this, but why did the doctor say that he wants to do another scope?

melrobsings Contributor

I'm bleeding 2 colors of blood and my tummy feels like it's always moving, not to mention as we all know, I can't get regular on the BM train to save my life...

Teacher1958 Apprentice
I'm bleeding 2 colors of blood and my tummy feels like it's always moving, not to mention as we all know, I can't get regular on the BM train to save my life...

Oh, my gosh, that is terrible. I hope they can get all of that under control for you. Let us know how it all turns out.

Karen B. Explorer

I'm over it!

By scoped, you mean endoscopy or colonscopy? My doc did a second EGD to make sure the small intestine was healing and there were no additional complications (other than Celiac which is complicated enough :-)

My best advice with the horrid crap is to keep it as chilled as you can. Even though by the end of the jug, I'm always freezing because I've emptied everything out, the only way I can keep it going down is very chilled. My Mom told me the cherry flavor tasted the best and I tactfully refrained from asking "Compared to what?"

A co-worker said mixing it with ginger ale instead of plain water helped her. I was afraid it would just make me hate ginger ale forever more.

Guest j_mommy

I added crystal light singles to mine. I bought a few flavors and switched it up! And I couldn't get teh last two glasses down and dumped them out!!! THey could see everything just fine!

Bleeding ulcer of some kind????

melrobsings Contributor

thank you so much for the support and ideas!

Sadly I didn't even ask what kind of scope I just asked "do I have to drink that crap again!?"

I also get a bad case of projectile vomit with the drugs they give me.....it's awesome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

good luck

had both of mine last week

please keep us posted

will send up some 'positive vibes' for you

darkangel Rookie

Okay, I'm curious... I've heard people say there's a new prep out now where all you have to take is some pills instead of drinking that nasty tasting crap. Anyone know the scoop?

Lisa Mentor

I took the pills....about 24 of the biggest pills I have ever seen (don't know which proceedure is the worst)

darkangel Rookie
I took the pills....about 24 of the biggest pills I have ever seen (don't know which proceedure is the worst)

Yikes. Maybe I'll stick with the phospho soda stuff. I find it unpleasant, but I don't have the trouble keeping it down that some folks do.

melrobsings Contributor

I took that powder crap with ginger ale rather then water and HOLY CRAP it totally helped! i only barfed once and that was from the jello that didn't agree with me AND that was BEFORE i even started the drinking stuff! So try the ginger ale...and I didn't fill it to the "fill line" I did it about an inch below so i didn't have to drink as much...it worked, they said i was totally cleaN!

So everyone in the NYC area I REALLY need a recommendation for a GI doc. This is just bull poop! The first one didn't call me back for over a month! I had to leave mean messages to get them to call me back, now this guy is nice and on it but he sat there and told me that I don't have Celiac. Fine and dandy I may not have "Celiac" but I can tell you I have a "Gluten Allergy of some kind". He said if no one in my family has it there is no way i have it. I told him my mom, 2 aunts, grandma and brother ALL have auto-immunes, he said but celiac is a kind on it's own and I said "not from what I have read and EVERYONE has a DIFFERENT auto-immune!" He said, then get the blood test and I said I have been gluten-free for over 2 years it came back negative! He said do the Gluten challenge and i said HELL NO! I'M NUT GUNNA BE SICK AS A DOG FOR 6 WEEKS!...AND to top it off I showed him my rash and I SWEAR it's DH and you know what he said?!?!!? "OH well all those rashes look the same!" and I said "really?! cause I have always been told, well it's not hives but it sort of is hives.... and nothing helps!"

He also said all the bleeding I had couldn't have come from what he thought it was coming from but he thinks he fixed it so if I have more bleeding I have to come back for surgery.....WTF?!?!?!

My mom said screw him and find ANOTHER NEW ONE!

Any ideas or thoughts of what I should do and where to go?! I'm so sick of this!

On a good note I only tossed my cookies once after I woke up and that way great! Normally i toss them for days! And i feel great today!

So please HELP!

darkangel Rookie

If I lived in NYC - lucky you! - I'd see Dr. Leo Galland, Dr. Ronald Greenberg or Dr. Ronald Hoffman. These are three OUTSTANDING docs. At one time, I even considered flying in to see Galland, but I was too sick to make the trip. I can give you more info, if you'd like.

melrobsings Contributor
If I lived in NYC - lucky you! - I'd see Dr. Leo Galland, Dr. Ronald Greenberg or Dr. Ronald Hoffman. These are three OUTSTANDING docs. At one time, I even considered flying in to see Galland, but I was too sick to make the trip. I can give you more info, if you'd like.

Please do give more info! i'm doctor stupid...well, clearly cause i pick winners! lol but yes, more info babe!

darkangel Rookie
Please do give more info! i'm doctor stupid...well, clearly cause i pick winners! lol but yes, more info babe!

The doctors I mentioned are noted for being particularly good diagnosing gastrointestinal disorders, are cutting edge on the latest medical knowledge, don't rely overly on drug therapy to simply cover up symptoms, but use positive, alternative approaches - seeking to reestablish the body's natural balance and ability to heal. Here's more info on each:

Dr. Leo Galland

Foundation for Integrative Medicine

New York, NY. (212) 772-3077

Author of Power Healing and Four Pillars of Healing

Open Original Shared Link

Dr. Ronald Greenberg

Department of Medicine / Gastroenterology / Clinical Practice

Long Island Jewish Medical Center

270-05 76th Ave New Hyde Park, NY 11040

tel: (718) 470-7280

Specializes in IBD

Dr. Ronald Hoffman

776 Sixth Avenue, Suite 4B

New York, New York 10001

(212)779-1744

Open Original Shared Link

The Hoffman Center focuses on internal medicine with the appropriate amalgamation of high-tech conventional medicine along with effective natural therapies. Dr. Hoffman is a nutritionist and a graduate of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine with training in internal medicine.

Author of 7 Weeks to a Settled Stomach

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I took that powder crap with ginger ale rather then water and HOLY CRAP it totally helped! i only barfed once and that was from the jello that didn't agree with me AND that was BEFORE i even started the drinking stuff! So try the ginger ale...and I didn't fill it to the "fill line" I did it about an inch below so i didn't have to drink as much...it worked, they said i was totally cleaN!

So everyone in the NYC area I REALLY need a recommendation for a GI doc. This is just bull poop! The first one didn't call me back for over a month! I had to leave mean messages to get them to call me back, now this guy is nice and on it but he sat there and told me that I don't have Celiac. Fine and dandy I may not have "Celiac" but I can tell you I have a "Gluten Allergy of some kind". He said if no one in my family has it there is no way i have it. I told him my mom, 2 aunts, grandma and brother ALL have auto-immunes, he said but celiac is a kind on it's own and I said "not from what I have read and EVERYONE has a DIFFERENT auto-immune!" He said, then get the blood test and I said I have been gluten-free for over 2 years it came back negative! He said do the Gluten challenge and i said HELL NO! I'M NUT GUNNA BE SICK AS A DOG FOR 6 WEEKS!...AND to top it off I showed him my rash and I SWEAR it's DH and you know what he said?!?!!? "OH well all those rashes look the same!" and I said "really?! cause I have always been told, well it's not hives but it sort of is hives.... and nothing helps!"

He also said all the bleeding I had couldn't have come from what he thought it was coming from but he thinks he fixed it so if I have more bleeding I have to come back for surgery.....WTF?!?!?!

My mom said screw him and find ANOTHER NEW ONE!

Any ideas or thoughts of what I should do and where to go?! I'm so sick of this!

On a good note I only tossed my cookies once after I woke up and that way great! Normally i toss them for days! And i feel great today!

So please HELP!

Have you considered going through enterolab? That might be the least invasive way to find out whether gluten is a problem for you and you can order testing for eggs, casien, yeast, soy and also they can check for microscopic colitis. That might give you a starting point to eliminate some of the issues that you have going on. Then after you have eliminated stuff that your body is forming antibodies to if your symptoms have not resolved in a reasonable amount of time you can look to a GI to make sure nothing else is going on. A colonscopy is going to show nothing significant if the problem is gluten and you will simply end up with the usual IBS diagnosis.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

QUOTE(melrobsings @ Jul 25 2007, 06:13 AM)

YOU POOR THING...AMAZING AND SAD POST BUT THIS DR IS A JERK

SOUNDS JUST LIKE ""DR"" THINKING

I KNOW YOU CAN FIND A DR FROM THE NAMES HERE.

YOUR 'RESPONSES' WERE BRILLIANT...I WISH I COULD COME BACK LIKE THAT.

I GET SO MAD I GET TONGUE TIED AND THEN JUST 'JABBER'

YOU WERE SO GOOD.

Have you considered going through enterolab? That might be the least invasive way to find out whether gluten is a problem for you and you can order testing for eggs, casien, yeast, soy and also they can check for microscopic colitis. That might give you a starting point to eliminate some of the issues that you have going on. Then after you have eliminated stuff that your body is forming antibodies to if your symptoms have not resolved in a reasonable amount of time you can look to a GI to make sure nothing else is going on.

melrobsings Contributor

none of those guys take my insurance! :(

melrobsings Contributor

ok so for the enterolab what test do i get? the 99 or the 149 or the 249 buck test?!

then after the test where do i go doctor wise?!

happygirl Collaborator

If you are having a colonoscopy (i am assuming, since you are drinking icky stuff), then enterolab isn't going to help determine (i.e., rule in or out) other causes (Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, Microscopic Colitis, Eosinophiliac disorders, polyps, etc.).

An endoscopy looks for Celiac related damage, a colonoscopy doesn't. It sounds like he is looking for other causes than food issues.

Archived