This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Julia's Favorite Foods Safe?

dandelionmom

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Yoplait Key Lime yogurt

Rice Krispies

Corn chips

Soft tortilla shells

Chicken nuggets

And what are the best store bought cookies?

And what are the best treat (she LOVES chocolate) for me to carry around just in case?

Thank you all so very much for your help. I've ordered the books you recommended and I've printed out all the lists you've given me. I'd be lost without this board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator
Yoplait Key Lime yogurt

Rice Krispies

Corn chips

Soft tortilla shells

Chicken nuggets

And what are the best treat (she LOVES chocolate) for me to carry around just in case?

Thank you all so very much for your help. I've ordered the books you recommended and I've printed out all the lists you've given me. I'd be lost without this board.

Hi, I am not sure about the yogurt but the Rice Krispies are not safe. They contain barley malt. Envirokids makes a chocolate flavored type krispy cereal. Frito corn chips are fine but read the ingredients for soft tortillas because most are wheat unless you buy the the corn tortilla. The chicken nugget are out unless you buy those labelled gluten free such as Ian's or Bell and Evans or Wellshire Farms. The best cookies we have found the K-toos (just like Oreos) and Kinnickinicks Montana Choc. chips.

Nicole

bbuster Explorer

M&Ms are gluten-free EXCEPT for the crispy kind (because of the barley malt in the rice crispies).

Hershey bars are safe EXCEPT for Hershey's Miniatures. The small snack size and larger are OK. No Krunch bars, again because of the rice crispies.

Guhlia Rising Star

Yoplait Key Lime yogurt - ?

Rice Krispies - NO, but Kinnikinnick makes gluten free rice krispies and they taste like the real thing

Corn chips - Fritos original flavor

Soft tortilla shells - Mission 100% corn tortillas

Chicken nuggets - Wellshire Kids

And what are the best store bought cookies? - Kinnikinnick K-Too's, just like Oreos but gluten free

And what are the best treat (she LOVES chocolate) for me to carry around just in case? K-too's, milk chocolate M&M's, Envirokidz animal cookies (make sure they're the gluten free version), Glutino pretzels, Lara bars (YUM!), Kind bars, Dum dum lollipops, Stretch Island fruit leathers...

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Yoplait Key Lime yogurt - ?

Rice Krispies - NO, but Kinnikinnick makes gluten free rice krispies and they taste like the real thing

Corn chips - Fritos original flavor

Soft tortilla shells - Mission 100% corn tortillas

Chicken nuggets - Wellshire Kids

And what are the best store bought cookies? - Kinnikinnick K-Too's, just like Oreos but gluten free

And what are the best treat (she LOVES chocolate) for me to carry around just in case? K-too's, milk chocolate M&M's, Envirokidz animal cookies (make sure they're the gluten free version), Glutino pretzels, Lara bars (YUM!), Kind bars, Dum dum lollipops, Stretch Island fruit leathers...

Many Corn Tortillas are safe. I also like the brown rice tortillas from Whole Foods, forget the brand name.

I'm a big fan of the EnviroKids cereals. It does make me wonder why no one makes a really yummy, gluten-free, adult type cereal . I used to love Raisin Bran and the "nuts and flakes" type cereals. I've eaten several brands of corn chips without problems, but only after reading ingredients.

I really like the envirokids crispy rice cereal bars. I'm trying to start a company, and attend a lot of fund raising events. I carry these things with me all the time, to buffer me when I'm at an event for hours. (i'm 31 by the way)

Geoff

Mango04 Enthusiast

Rice Krispies - Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice or Erewhon Rice Twice (for something sweeter)

Corn chips - most are safe (I eat Whale Tales)

Soft tortilla shells - most corn tortillas are safe (I eat Food For Life Sprouted Corn tortillas)

Chicken nuggets - Ian's, Wellshire, Bells and Evans (check ingredients, as these brands make gluten versions as well)

Pamelas aren't bad :)

Karen B. Explorer
  1. Yoplait Key Lime yogurt
  2. Rice Krispies
  3. Corn chips
  4. Soft tortilla shells
  5. Chicken nuggets
  6. And what are the best store bought cookies?
  7. And what are the best treat (she LOVES chocolate) for me to carry around just in case?

1. I see net references saying it's gluten-free but nothing on the product website so I'd call the producer of Yoplait Key Lime yogurt
  2. EnviroKidz has lots of crispy rice products and I can get many at my local grocer Open Original Shared Link (look at the bottom for their gluten-free list)
  3. Plain Fritos Scoops are my favorite, Plain Tostitos are good too
  4. If she doesn't like corn tortillas, I've been told Chebe mix makes good flour tortillas
  5. Chicken Nuggets - I second the previous listing - Ian's, Wellshire, Bells&Evans - they're all good in different ways (I like Ian's fish sticks too)
  6. Mi-Del Ginger Snaps are my favorite store bought because they are crisp. Namaste Spice Cake mix makes great cookies too, just don't add the water the mix calls for (like you can do with regular cake mixes)
  7. M&Ms are good but try Chocolate-Coconut Lara Bars and Lemon Lara Bars. They're really good, handle heat well, and healthier.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliet Newbie

"M&Ms are good but try Chocolate-Coconut Lara Bars and Lemon Lara Bars. They're really good, handle heat well, and healthier."

Also, Bumble Bars in original, almond, and chocolate are great, too. And they handle heat well. My 3 1/2 year old son loves them, along with the Lara bars and EnviroKidz bars.

I received an e-mail from Yoplait that they clearly label when a gluten related item is added to a yogurt, and it would only be added to the yogurts that have "chunks" in them, like their breakfast/harvest line. The regular flavored yogurts, Whips, and custard styles were all gluten free; even the Go-gurts were OK. So Key Lime Pie should be OK (or at least it was the last time I checked the ingredients and bought it). We also freeze the Go-gurts in the tubes as "ice cream treats" in the summer, too.

As for pre-made cookies, we like Mi-Del Pecan cookies, Pamela's dark chocolate chunk cookies, and the chocolate dipped wafer cookies from Glutino. Jennie's macaroons (both regular and almond flavored) are delicious, too. In the gluten free frozen section of Whole Foods, all of the cookies there are good, but they're expensive, too. If your daughter can eat peanut butter, flourless peanut butter cookies are quick and easy to make. Mix 1 cup each of creamy peanut butter & sugar with 1 egg and 1 1/2 tsp. of gluten free baking powder (baking powder isn't necessary, but it adds a nice little rise). You can also add gluten free chocolate, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips, too. Bake in a 350

Electra375 Newbie
As for pre-made cookies, we like Mi-Del Pecan cookies, Pamela's dark chocolate chunk cookies, and the chocolate dipped wafer cookies from Glutino.

In the gluten free frozen section of Whole Foods, all of the cookies there are good, but they're expensive, too.

Yeah those!!! Pamela's mixes are fabulous too. And the Whole Foods gluten free bakehouse white sandwich bread is one of the BEST I've ever tasted.

We have Brown Rice Crispies from the Health Food Store EREWHON brand. They are okay fresh, but my experience is they turn stale quickly and they come is such big boxes. I make our own rice crispy treats on occassion when I buy these.

I keep "fruit snacks" in my bag for an emergancy, you have to be careful though, some are safe, some are not and you sort of have to make a decision for yourself what risk you are willing to accept. So I refrain from advising on a brand. I myself need to revaluate this decision based on new symptoms.

I also keep Mi-Del cookies in my bag and corn based crackers I buy in bulk they come in a 3 pack of 8 in each package by Glutano. My dh's emergancy snack is M&Ms. When the baby starts needing snacks I'm going for Perky Os.

I keep in the winter months a lunch box for each child in the van, it includes a small PB individual serving, gluten-free cracker pack, knife, peach fruit cup w/spoon, applesauce cup, fruit snack, gluten-free cookies and 2 juice boxes. It's our snow and ice on the road survive kit, plus when there is not any place appropriate to eat when we are out later than expected shopping or somthing. The summer it is a little harder to keep due to the heat. If I'm going out for a long trip I will grab them, they are always ready on the top shelf.

Archived