Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MLynn

Xanthan Gum.

I am a fairly "new" Celiac patient. I am still trying to adjust, it's hard to do. :(

I keep looking for and reading up on recipies, and I notice that alot of people mention Xanthan gum? I am not familiar with this product. Where do you buy it, and what is it? Is it a filler? What does it taste like? Sorry....so many questions!

I'm trying to get a grip on this new lifestyle....It gets so difficult at times, frustrating.

Well, thank you all for the great suggestions and information that you share with all of us.

-Moe

Moe,

I found it at a local health foods store in VA. It's probably available at places like whole foods as well. It acts as a binding ingredient to help the dough keep from getting crumbly. I recommend getting a few cook books. They will give you flour blends for baking and more info on where to find things. I really like the book "Cooking Free" here's a link to it (http://www.amazon .com/Cooking-Free-200Flavorful-Allergies-Sensitivi/dp/1583332154). Once I baked my first pie I finally felt like I could handle the new diet. Good luck with your baking!

I am a fairly "new" Celiac patient. I am still trying to adjust, it's hard to do. :(

I keep looking for and reading up on recipies, and I notice that alot of people mention Xanthan gum? I am not familiar with this product. Where do you buy it, and what is it? Is it a filler? What does it taste like? Sorry....so many questions!

I'm trying to get a grip on this new lifestyle....It gets so difficult at times, frustrating.

Well, thank you all for the great suggestions and information that you share with all of us.

-Moe

Guest j_mommy

You can buy it at most large Grocery stores. It is kind of spendy..about $10-15 for a package(mine was 10oz for $11) But thankfully you only need a tsp or so at a time. You can also replace xanthan gum with gaur gum which is cheaper.