Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest micah

Tyson Frozen Chicken With "broth"

Guest micah

Last night I ate chicken, corn, and ore-ida french fries with heinz ketchup and got sick. I pulled everything out, and to my surprise, the frozen chicken breasts had a "chicken broth" added to it. Could this be it?

Micah

If the ingredients don't list gluten, it doesn't have it. The USDA requires any grain be listed in raw meat.

richard

I eat the Tyson frozen chicken breasts all the time(too much, I think I have went a week where that was my lunch and dinner each day) I also eat the Manor House(safeway brand I think). Neither ever bother me. I'd guess some cross-containination. I always use my own margerine, frying pans, etc.

Hey, its a fun excuse to buy a new fancy set of frying pans/pots. I have this Cuisnart 12'' skillet that is so cool. I'm a nut about cooking however. I drive my wife insane....

Guest micah

Thanks! I'm glad to hear they are okay, cause they sure tasted good. I may have to check into a new pan. Most of mine are steel, so I didn't replace them, but maybe I need to.

Micah

What type of fries?

Most Ore-Ida fries are fine, but there are a couple out there that we can't have. Waffle cut are the only ones coming to mind right now. They are not on the gluten free list.

Guest micah
What type of fries?

Most Ore-Ida fries are fine, but there are a couple out there that we can't have. Waffle cut are the only ones coming to mind right now. They are not on the gluten free list.

It's Ore-Ida crinkle-cut fries. I'm starting to wonder if it was the Head Country BBQ sauce which I cooked the chicken in, which I was sure I had found out was gluten free, but when I double-checked I couldn't find any information. So now I can't remember why I thought it was fine.

Thanks,

Micah

Thanks! I'm glad to hear they are okay, cause they sure tasted good. I may have to check into a new pan. Most of mine are steel, so I didn't replace them, but maybe I need to.

Micah

Steel pans s/b fine. They aren't porous. I've only ever heard of people having problems with some non-stick finishes and cast iron.

Guest micah
Is it possible there was MSG in the chicken broth? My husband is celiac and gets similar reactions if he eats anything with MSG or TBHQ.

Thanks. I have the same problem with MSG.

The package reads:

"broth ingredients are:chicken broth, sea salt, natural flavorings."

I'm going to try it plain next time and see if I still get sick I guess.

What is TBHQ?

Thanks!

Last night I ate chicken, corn, and ore-ida french fries with heinz ketchup and got sick. I pulled everything out, and to my surprise, the frozen chicken breasts had a "chicken broth" added to it. Could this be it?

Micah

Chicken Broth will often contain barley malt as a flavoring and this does not need to be disclosed on the label. The best way to be sure would be to contact the company and ask. They do not seem to have any info on line about it so a phone call or email would be needed. For safety and convience I only go with natural organic chicken with nothing added, I don't like paying chicken prices for water and 'flavoring' anyway.

The package reads:

From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The process to make broth from chicken will result, most often, in a Free Glutamic Acid. While the ingredients may not list MSG, processing will create (EDIT:) the same sort of effect. Free glutamic acid is not technically "Monosodium Glutamate", but it has similar properties. If you have issues with MSG, you may want to look into:

Free Glutamic Acid and hydrolyzed proteins.

Your issues with what you ate may have nothing to do with Free Glutamic acid, but, maybe...

The package reads:

What is TBHQ?

Thanks!

msg is hidden in many processed foods (such as chicken broth). It doesn't need to be blatantly disclosed on the label. Many times "flavorings" or even "broth" actually means msg.

I eat Tyson chicken all the time, too. I normally buy the chicken tenders, but have also bought the breasts. I have called them in the past and they were fine. The broth has nothing in it that Celiacs can't have. Now if you have other food intolerances, it may be a problem. But if it is just Celiac, the chicken is fine.

The package reads:

What is TBHQ?

Thanks!

TBHQ is an additive in a lot of products and is listed just like that on the label. Its official name is way too long to remember. You will find it most often in the cooking oils of restaurants. From what I understand, oils that contain it can cook at a much higher heat without burning; and this makes it faster cooking. That's great for restaurants, but not so good on my hubby's tummy.

For example, Butterfinger Candy Bars are gluten free and by all standards he should be able to eat them; but he would get a belly ache and loose stools every time he tried. Closer look at the label revealed TBHQ. We've started watching closer and find a reaction every time. For some reason, celiacs appear to be more sensitive to additives.

"Chicken Broth will often contain barley malt as a flavoring and this does not need to be disclosed on the label."

When the "broth" is in raw meat, such as poultry, barley would most certainly have to be disclosed. The USDA has had this rule for years now. Anything that adds nutritional value, and that includes all grains, must be listed.

richard