Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

According to the GIG (Gluten-Intolerance Group) wines and distilled spirits (aka hard-liquor) are gluten free. Obviously beer isn't. I've read several posts that speak of sensitivities to alcohols like vodka - Shouldn't that be gluten free as well? Or is it more a case or irritating a preexisting problem by drinking?

According to the GIG (Gluten-Intolerance Group) wines and distilled spirits (aka hard-liquor) are gluten free. Obviously beer isn't. I've read several posts that speak of sensitivities to alcohols like vodka - Shouldn't that be gluten free as well? Or is it more a case or irritating a preexisting problem by drinking?

Any distilled spirits should technically be gluten free, although some such as vodka have added flavors after the distilling process. That is not a license to assume the some gluten sensitive people do not react.

Alcohol can serve as a solvent to your digestive system and can be very harsh, especially during the healing process.

Any distilled spirits should technically be gluten free, although some such as vodka have added flavors after the distilling process. That is not a license to assume the some gluten sensitive people do not react.

Alcohol can serve as a solvent to your digestive system and can be very harsh, especially during the healing process.

OK, that sounded a little bit preachy, didn't mean too. There is a list of gluten free spirits on this site index, which would be a good safe way to start. RedBridge, New Grist are two of the gluten free beers readily available.

Enjoy.

That is not a license to assume the some gluten sensitive people do not react.

Cool, I didn't know, thought I'd ask.

In the past I've had several severe reactions to a certain couple beers (Bells Two-hearted Ale will literally put down on the floor within 1 or 2 beers, passed out, missing work the next day cause I'm still passed out on the floor) but I've never had a reaction like that to liquor.