This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eden Foods - Gluten Free?

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

DH picked up two cans of Eden Organic rice & beans at the grocery store the other day. Does anyone know if they're gluten free? I can't find anything on their website. One is Cajun Small Red Beans Rice and Beans w/ Lundberg Brown Rice. The other is Caribbean Black Beans Rice and Beans with Lundberg Brown Rice. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yes, they are gluten-free. I've eaten them just based on the ingredients being pretty straight forward, but I just checked the website to make sure. In small print at the bottom it says "wheat-free, non-gluten, low-fat" etc. etc. etc.

• 1 year later...
raisin Enthusiast

This is an older topic, but the best place to post the product's news;

Many people can tolerate tiny amounts, so this brand may be "safe".. But some of us get sick over "next to nothing," and should be warned. I, at least, have a gluten-reaction to their products.

Eden Foods states :

Open Original Shared Link

------

Gluten is an insoluble protein found in wheat (including different varieties such as spelt and kamut), rye, barley, and cross-bred hybrids, such as triticale, which is a cross between wheat and rye. It is estimated that more than 2 million people in the U.S. have Celiac disease, a disorder in which the lining of the small intestine is damaged in response to ingestion of gluten. Millions more have varying levels of gluten sensitivity or wheat intolerances, also known as wheat allergies, etc.

As of this date there is no specific U.S. food regulation for labeling of gluten free foods. Current industry standards are below 20 parts per million equals gluten free. Those who require a wheat free or gluten free diet face challenges because wheat and wheat derivatives are so prevalent.

What Eden Foods means by 'Wheat Free' is that there are no wheat or wheat derivatives in the ingredients, though these foods may contain gluten.

What Eden Foods means by 'Non Gluten' is:

1. Eden's full ingredient disclosure, and requirement of such from all secondary suppliers assures that there are no ingredients that contain, nor are derived from wheat or any other gluten-containing grain.

2. Eden Foods is highly proactive toward food safety, sanitation, and the prevention of allergen cross contamination as exemplified by our ongoing participation with food safety programs such as HACCP (Hazard Analysis at Critical Control Point) and AIB International audits.

3. Eden routinely tests for gluten in foods that are listed as 'non gluten'. Our non gluten confidence is not solely based on testing, but also on good manufacturing practices and meticulous handling.

4. Occasionally Eden Foods changes ingredients or suppliers and this may affect the 'Wheat Free' or 'Non Gluten' status of our products. If this should occur we immediately update our "Wheat Free and Non Gluten List" to reflect any change.

5. While extremely unlikely, it is conceivable that EDEN products listed as 'non gluten' could become affected with miniscule amounts of gluten. Please use common sense depending upon your level of sensitivity and feel free to contact us about specific Eden foods.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Raisin, thank you so much for adding that post. I am one of those sensitive people and you saved me from running out to try something new and getting sick again!

Archived