This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Poll: Are You Proud Of....

LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

I am just wondering if anyone else is not happy,or embarrased to say what they do for a living? I am not embarrased I just feel like I could be doing something better sometimes. I had a great job, well I should say the only thing great about it was I could actually use my college eduation and it was a highly respectable job, I was very proud of myself, I just hated the work and I had an on the job injury wich required surgery and a lot of time off. I never went back after surgery. I felt like that was the time to get out if I didn't enjoy it, it was in Corrections.

Now I am doing something way different, and I don't mind, I just don't feel very proud of myself when people ask what I do. I went from being in Law enforcement to running a family owned business. It definelty is two different types of work. Sometimes I want to go back and persue my carreer in law enforcement, my dream, but I feel like I will let my family (in-laws) down? Any suggestions, I know utlimatley it is mine, but wanted to know if anyone else was in this particular situation. Thanks for listening.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am proud of what I do, I am a Clinical Trials Coordinator and I work with cancer patients. Do I always like it? No, it can be very emotional. It is great to see how far things have come in the past few year though. When I am not doing this, I am a lab tech processing blood work and other specimens in the Lab here at our hospital.

I have a degree in IT which I can say is not the field for me. If you said to me 10 yrs ago, you would be working in the medical field I probably would have laughed in your face. This is the last place I thought I would ever end up working. It has been a blessing though.

confused Community Regular

I am proud to be a mom. Growing up I said i would never have kids cause I was so self-absorbed. But I sometimes get sad that I am not working outside of the house since I do have an masters in counseling. But i really dont think i will ever go into that field again. I am going to take some business classes this fall (well if i can figure out which ones i want to take). My parents have alot of business things like the farm, that will be mine when they pass over and I am going to have to figure out how to run it and all the stuff that goes with it. I have always dreamed of opening my own business, even tho I do not know what kind, I just know one day an opportunity will come and I want to be able to know how to run an business. But until then I am very happy to be a mom and wife. I am not ashamed to say it.

paula

I am proud to be a mom. Growing up I said i would never have kids cause I was so self-absorbed. But I sometimes get sad that I am not working outside of the house since I do have an masters in counseling. But i really dont think i will ever go into that field again. I am going to take some business classes this fall (well if i can figure out which ones i want to take). My parents have alot of business things like the farm, that will be mine when they pass over and I am going to have to figure out how to run it and all the stuff that goes with it. I have always dreamed of opening my own business, even tho I do not know what kind, I just know one day an opportunity will come and I want to be able to know how to run an business. But until then I am very happy to be a mom and wife. I am not ashamed to say it.

paula

I am not a mom yet...but I cannot wait until that day comes. I am willing to trade in my job at the hospital to be a fulltime mom anytime. Actually John and I have already discussed arrangments, I might work at night for a few hours in the lab 2nd shift.

I just wanted to add that I will never run the farm from the farm. It is a farm that grows wheat, corn and sorgum. Years ago tho hubby and I dreamed of taking it over and building a house on the land to have an simple life without living in the city. But now that dream is over since I have celiac. That does break my heart tho.

paula

blueeyed, i know u will make an wonderful mom when that time comes, and that is great that you will still be able to work a few hours at your job since u love it so much

paula

melrobsings Contributor

I'm a full time actor and a full time psychic. I had to take a few months off from acting due to health issues though, I'm getting back in ASAP. I LOVE both jobs, acting more though...but not by much. My goal with psychic-ing is to work for the police, i have a great client base and hope to add NYPD on there! Acting has been my main income all my life, I am a member of 2 unions and have my insurance through there, this break has been rough but i'll be back soon!!!! Let me also say i'm a proud college drop out and don't ever want kids, you can call it "too self absorbed", in my case it is really call it "i don't want or like kids" I never have and see no reason (not one) to have them.

melrobsings- both of your jobs sound so exciting. Have you been in anything that we may have seen? Plays, TV?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

First off - love my job. Research scientist studying the genetics of the immune response.

Second - Holy crap Paula!! Anyone that has ever actually observed a full time mom can be nothing but absolutely astonished that any one human being could posses the patience, the organization, and the calmness required to be a mom while still being able to respond in a second to any situation that might arise. Most of us have parts of our jobs that are routine and don't require much thought, but I've never seen a full time parent that had anything resembling routine, except for a few minutes at a time.

Add to that a severe lack of pats on the back and you have a job that few people would be able to do, and even fewer would be able to do well.

I should hope that you aren't ashamed to say it!

First off - love my job. Research scientist studying the genetics of the immune response.

Second - Holy crap Paula!! Anyone that has ever actually observed a full time mom can be nothing but absolutely astonished that any one human being could posses the patience, the organization, and the calmness required to be a mom while still being able to respond in a second to any situation that might arise. Most of us have parts of our jobs that are routine and don't require much thought, but I've never seen a full time parent that had anything resembling routine, except for a few minutes at a time.

Add to that a severe lack of pats on the back and you have a job that few people would be able to do, and even fewer would be able to do well.

I should hope that you aren't ashamed to say it!

Thanks for those kind words, i have tears in my eyes. I know being a full time mom is hard, especially when you have kids they are involved in sports and they have activities at the same time, and you want to be at both places at the same time, but you cant. But it really breaks your heart. Plus it is hard when you are the coach of one of your kids teams, but luckily i have an husband that is very involved and works 5am to 2, so he is able to help out so much. I could not do it without him. I am just I am healthy enough now to be the best mom, it was so hard when i was sick all the time, i missed out on so much in their lives, that i do not want to miss any more moments.

paula

MaryKatherine Newbie

I have been facinated by food since I was 12 and asked for my first mixer. Going to one of the best culianary schools fulfilled a huge dream for me. I have been a private freelance chef for the past 10 years working on yachts, estates, and travelling with clients. Most recently I held a position for a gentleman as his personal assistant/ chef and kinda maintained his world. He had a bunch of houses all over. I found out 7/06 that I had celiac's and despite taking great measures to protect myself from cc, I couldn't. I had to give up my position and look for other work. I have taken June and July off completely to try and heal. I have had a lot of digestional issues and fatigue.

I am hoping to find a client who has celiac's or some other food allergy or maybe working with people to help them help themselves with this frustrating diet. Any ideas would be great!

I LOVE cooking, food and eating or at least I used to. I feel like my life used to revolve around food and eating out. Going to new restaurants was literally my favorite hobby. Now I am the chef who became afraid of food! Oh, the irony is rich. If my culinary school professors could see me now. I hope my passion for food will return when I am ready to use it.....and I hope that is sooner than later!

Having worked a crappy job or two in my time or having just been unfulfilled with what I was doing, I am a firm believer in, "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO NOT LOVE WHAT YOU DO!" Make better choices.

"TO LOVE WHAT YOU DO AND FEEL THAT IT MATTERS-WHAT COULD BE MORE FUN?"---K.Graham

Guest j_mommy

I work for our area tribe doing home health(FT), i'm a CNA. I'm in college part-time finishing my nursing degree. I also have a 2 yr old!!! I love all three but can't wait to be done with school and OFCOURSE spending time iwth my little guy is my favorite thing to do....ideally I would like to work PT and be home with him teh rest of the time. I love my rok to much to stay at home FT....plus sanity is always a plus....koodos to all you saty at home moms...you'r eon my #1 heros list!!!

Lovebeingatwin....you have to do whats best for you, but I would do what I liked the best!!! If you're dream is being in law enforcment....then do it!!! I come from a family of cops.My dad and uncles are all cops and my Gpa is a retired cop. Most of them married nurses!!!

Good Luck to you!

zarfkitty Explorer

I teach high school. I teach Latin for part of the day and work with dyslexic students for the rest. Most of the time I'm proud to be a teacher. We do a very important job and all that jazz. ;) But because I believe many things need to be changed about the way we teach children and young adults, sometimes I'm not proud of "teaching" as a profession itself. If that makes any sense....

p.s. I've been a full time mom and I was extremely proud of staying at home with my little girl. When I finally decided to finish my degree and start a career outside my home, I had only come to the decision after months of soul-searching. I have the highest respect for women who decide to stay home... it's neither easy to make the decision nor is it easy to do!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I was a police officer in Germany, but dropped out of that job, cause my coworkers mopped me and it was too much stress. Then after that, I opened my own martial arts group, but I didn't have a set place for it. I just rented some gyms. Then in addition to that, I worked at Securitas at the American barracks in Wuerzburg and then Giebelstadt, where I met my future husband (an American). After emigrating to the US first I worked at an art gallery, then at Rohrer bus, then as a taxi driver and then I opened my own martial arts school again. This time with an own location and I'm really proud doing this. It's awesome.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I put myself in the not-so-proud category; I'm an aerospace software/systems engineer. For now...

Teacher1958 Apprentice

I have a degree in education and spent seven years doing a job for which I was overqualified (the job did not require a degree). I trained mentally challenged people to do various piece rate jobs. Many of my co-workers were extremely unprofessional, and the work environment was very different from that of the school where I'd previously worked. It was not a good situation for my self-esteem.

I went back into the field of education over a decade ago, and I felt so much better about myself. In addition, six years ago I moved from special education to the field of regular education, which was an extremely positive move for me. I am proud of what I do. It requires me to problem solve and use my intelligence/expertise to make a difference in the lives of children.

In addition to the teaching job, my absolute passion is my involvement in law enforcement as an auxiliary police officer (patrolman). When I was a very young woman, it was unusual for women to become police officers so I never gave it any serious thought. As a child I always pretended that I was a police officer or an FBI agent or a spy. I wish now that I would have at least considered becoming a paid police officer, and I still have some regrets in that regard. I know that my parents would have had a fit if I'd even mentioned law enforcement as a career, and I allowed them to control my life on too many levels, including that one.

To you I would say that if law enforcement is your passion, go for it. You're the one who's going to be working in whatever job you choose for a very long time. Your obligation is to yourself and your dreams. If you're not happy in your current job, eventually you may become unhappy in general. I'm not saying that's a guarantee, but it could happen.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

And always keep in mind. You're living your life for yourself, not your parents and not for your friends. You have to be happy with the job you chose. And always remember: It is never too late to change your job.

Lisa Mentor

I started a thread similar to this one not so long ago. We all come together with a common bond, but yet our lives are so diverse. During the course of the previous thread, I found that most that posted were highly educated, highly degreed and the stay at home mom's/dad had had more intellect and knowledge than I would have ever imagined. I came to a hypothesis that Celiacs are damn smart people, whatever avenue they found themselves in.

I spent my early 20's working on Capital Hill, raising monies for a particular political party. What a world-wind and when I think back. Oh, the stories I can tell about prominent political people VERY currently in the news .... :ph34r:

I married and moved South, raised my girls in a small town...and still here. I spent 30 years contributing the my community and proud of the footprints of my efforts.

I sometimes, wonder "what if", but then I look at my 23 and 26 young women that I raised and know that I did a damn good job.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I'm still struggling with what I want to be when I grow up, lol. I've been a respiratory therapist, mostly pediatric, for 7 years. I like working with children, but the 12 hour shifts and back breaking CPT are starting to wear on me. I've been looking into the local dietetics program.....I have most of the prereq's, and from what I hear, there's a need for some dieticians who have a clue regarding the gluten free diet, lol.

There's also the four kids under 8 I'm raising as well, not sure how I'll fit in school and work into the equation, but I'm going to give it a shot!

JennyC Enthusiast

I'm a college student. I just finished my B.S. in molecular/microbiology and I'm starting a biochemistry/molecular biology M.S. program in the fall. I am fascinated my immunology, virology, and molecular disease. I am proud of what I do because I have high hopes for the future. I also have a son that is almost four. I'm taking the summer off to be a stay at home mom. It's so nice to be able to stay home and not feel like I should be doing something else--like studying! My son and I are getting lots of gluten free baking experience this summer, and I'm really enjoying this quiet time with him before I start grad school.

corinne Apprentice

I'm a chemistry professor. I really enjoy helping the freshman nursing, animal science and other students who really struggle with chemistry make it through and maybe even enjoy it. The other fun part is teaching the chemistry majors especially the senior electives where the students are really maturing and almost ready for the "real" world. I'm more proud of my students than anything; I love going to graduation.

PS Jenny - way to go with finishing school while being a mom plus making it into grad school. Grad school is a lot of fun; it's nice being able to focus on just the stuff you enjoy.

Nic Collaborator

I am a teacher in an inner-city school system and am very proud of that. A lot of people choose these types of districts as a stepping stone to gain experience but I chose this district nearly 10 years ago. I wanted to work in an inner-city school and it is on a good day challenging. Just when "burn out" started to set in, my principal moved me from the 5th grade to the Kindergarten which has been a breath of fresh air.

BUT, being a teacher, I obviously get my summers off with the kids which is wonderful. If you have to be a working mom this is certainly the way to go as you get a taste of both worlds. That being said, I give a huge pat on the back to all of those stay at home parents because after my son dropped a bag of grapes on the kitchen floor yesterday and then proceeded to stamp all over them I said to my husband, "I think it is easier to go to work " ;)

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I recently (a month ago) finished my MBA. I started a company while there, which is focused on energy efficiency technologies. My partner has invented a new efficient patented material for thermoelectric devices, which can convert heat energy to electrical energy. We are using it to capture waste heat from truck engines to make the trucks overall more efficient. We've just really got going, but I have some very exciting and scary meetings coming in the next few weeks.

Geoff

Teacher1958 Apprentice
I am a teacher in an inner-city school system and am very proud of that. A lot of people choose these types of districts as a stepping stone to gain experience but I chose this district nearly 10 years ago. I wanted to work in an inner-city school and it is on a good day challenging. Just when "burn out" started to set in, my principal moved me from the 5th grade to the Kindergarten which has been a breath of fresh air.

BUT, being a teacher, I obviously get my summers off with the kids which is wonderful. If you have to be a working mom this is certainly the way to go as you get a taste of both worlds. That being said, I give a huge pat on the back to all of those stay at home parents because after my son dropped a bag of grapes on the kitchen floor yesterday and then proceeded to stamp all over them I said to my husband, "I think it is easier to go to work " ;)

Kudos to you! As a teacher, I have so much respect for teachers who work in the inner city. I've talked to a number of people like yourself, and I know that I truly do not have the patience nor the objectivity- and at the same time, compassion- to do what you do. I know you've heard this a million times, but you must be a very special person!

Nic Collaborator
Kudos to you! As a teacher, I have so much respect for teachers who work in the inner city. I've talked to a number of people like yourself, and I know that I truly do not have the patience nor the objectivity- and at the same time, compassion- to do what you do. I know you've heard this a million times, but you must be a very special person!

Hi, thanks for the nice words but I say Kudos to all of us teachers who dedicate our lives to educating the children of this country when so many rediculous demands are being put on both us and the students from people who have no idea what we do everyday. But to do it in an inner city does require a lot of patience and I feel as though I have lost some of that through the years. Before I had my own kids I think it was easier but as I said before, burn out has reared its ugly head and with that you have to keep reminding yourself to stay compassionate, objective, and patient as well as remember the circumstances that each students lives with. But on the other hand, those who work in the better areas have to deal with some parental issues that I never have to deal with. So pick your poison, on one hand unruley, hard to reach students, or on the other hand, overly involved, self rightious (sp?) parents? ;)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Very admirable! Wishing you lots of luck with your meetings!

Karen

Archived