Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AllieB2

Gluten Intolerance & Liver Issues?

I've been reading some of the posts on celiac disease and liver disease/problems/issues. I don't want to complicate things, but I did want to add something to the discussion. If anyone can explain what might be going on, I would be grateful as my docs are quite stumped.

I tested negative, twice, for celiac disease 8 years ago (blood and biopsy). However, it appears that I'm gluten intolerant, which does not, to my knowledge, involve autoimmunity. I say that it appears that I'm gluten intolerant because my liver enzymes become elevated when I eat wheat - and I have excruciating pain, nausea and vomiting. I'm negative for all forms of hepatitis (tho there could be a false negative in there somewhere, I guess) Liver enzymes run 10x higher than normal.

So, I think the point I'm trying to make is that being gluten intolerant might very well be enough to damage the liver....celiac disease may not be necessary to trigger liver disease.

I don't know if I've had an ASMA test...can someone explain it to me or tell me what the letters stand for? Thanks....AllieB

I don't know if I've had an ASMA test...can someone explain it to me or tell me what the letters stand for? Thanks....AllieB

The ASMA (anti-smooth-muscle antibody) test is one that is intended to detect autoimmune chronic hepatitis. Liver enzyme levels and celiac disease can be linked. I have liver issues, and my elevated enzymes have come down considerably since my diagnosis and going gluten-free.

Hope this is of some help to you.

The ASMA (anti-smooth-muscle antibody) test is one that is intended to detect autoimmune chronic hepatitis. Liver enzyme levels and celiac disease can be linked. I have liver issues, and my elevated enzymes have come down considerably since my diagnosis and going gluten-free.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks for the explanation of ASMA. Yes, I've had that test, but not recently, I don't think. I've been strictly gluten-free for 8 years now and understand that celiac and liver disease are connected. I was hoping to better understand the connection between being gluten intolerance [different than being celiac] and liver disease. It appears that I also have pancreatitis, which is somehow connected to celiac. But if I'm not celiac, in the strict definition, which includes a positive blood value or positive biopsy, then probably those who are gluten intolerant are also at risk for developing pancreas and liver disease.

Perhaps it's more than an autoimmune issue that connects celiac and the liver...perhaps it's the gluten itself, independent of autoimmunity. It's a complicated issue. Thanks, again, for your reply! AllieB

I don't really have an answer for you, but wanted to say that elevated liver enzymes were one of my presenting symptoms (along with diarrhea and anemia)...which is why my GI doc ordered the bloodwork and scopes for celiac disease.

I'm not sure how the liver is involved with celiac disease...other than the digestive system isn't "up to par" b/c of the damage in the small intestine? Or maybe there is lack of absorption of some nutrients that the liver needs?

Sorry...I hope you figure all this out soon. ((HUGS))

I don't really have an answer for you, but wanted to say that elevated liver enzymes were one of my presenting symptoms (along with diarrhea and anemia)...which is why my GI doc ordered the bloodwork and scopes for celiac disease.

I'm not sure how the liver is involved with celiac disease...other than the digestive system isn't "up to par" b/c of the damage in the small intestine? Or maybe there is lack of absorption of some nutrients that the liver needs?

Sorry...I hope you figure all this out soon. ((HUGS))

Is your doctor recommending that your children be tested? I have recently been diagnosed as well.

Is your doctor recommending that your children be tested? I have recently been diagnosed as well.

Yes, test your children, tell your parents, your siblings, any close relative! Since it is genetic it could be anywhere. My husband was tested when we found it in our girls, and he has it. 57 years old and his only sympoms were so mild he always excused them as something else. And he is 7" shorter than his brother and 2" shorter than his sister!