This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Son Has Signs Of Celiac

Guest mindy80

Guest mindy80

I just have a question my oldest son has Celiac & 1 diabetes. We are on a gluten free diet I had our youngest son tested for Celiac disease because he was showing signs of C. The bloos work came back negative so I dismissed it thinking it was just something that was going on the doctor said it was probably just a virus. Since he show up possitive for C. I still let him eat stuff with gluten in it if we are out and someone offers it to him. He is still complaining that his stomach is hurting all the time. Should I press the doctor to do a scope just to make sure he is 3 1/2. We don't really have a family history because my father was adopted & I don't really know much about my mothers family history. They said maybe he has crohns because his blood work came up negative.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Was he on a gluten-free diet when he was tested? Or a partial gluten-free diet???? Maybe you need to do full gluten on him and then get him tested. Either way for biopsy or blood work he needs to be eating a full gluten-free diet for a couple weeks first!!!

Have they checked him for Chron's????

Guest mindy80
Was he on a gluten-free diet when he was tested? Or a partial gluten-free diet???? Maybe you need to do full gluten on him and then get him tested. Either way for biopsy or blood work he needs to be eating a full gluten-free diet for a couple weeks first!!!

Have they checked him for Chron's????

No they haven't checked him for chrons yet they toldd me to monitor for a week and keep a log then bring him back & yes he was pretty much on an exclusive gluten free diet due to the fact our oldest son has C we just started all eating a gluten free food because it just seemed easier. The only problem with putting him on a full gluten diet is our older son tries to eat it but I guess that is probably what I am going to have to do & just keep all the food with gluten put up & alway from our other son

Guest j_mommy

That is what I would do if it were my child. My son has tested neg, but he is showing minor sypmtoms.

I hope everything works out for you!!!! Keep us posted

Electra375 Newbie

I need a bit of clarification - your 3 1/2 yr old was on a mostly gluten-free diet when you had him tested? That might be the only reason they came back negative.

Are his symptoms only when he eats gluten?

If you need a medical dx, then I would suggest having him eat gluten (lots daily) and retesting. Consult the pedi GI first b/c the length of time varies and things can crop up that would cause the end to eating gluten more quickly than originally planned - we had this happen and it was a bit scary.

If you are happy w out a med dx, and symptoms are gone gluten-free, you have your answer. Although as a parent of young children, one who is not med dx completely, it is much easier to have the med dx when it comes to schools, camps, etc than not.

Untreated celiac disease in a small child can lead to Type I diabetes for that child, all the more reason to get a med dx and try to halt that from occuring in a 2nd child.

Archived