Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confusedks

Sugar

I think sugar products are making me really nauseous. I haven't been this nauseous since I was pre-gluten-free. Ugh!! Does anyone else have this?

Kassandra

YES! I'm also sensitive to cane sugar. After eating cane sugar I react with tachycardia (rapid heart beat), panicky feelings, shakiness, irritability, nausea and eventually headache. However I also tested positive (IgG antibodies) to cane sugar on the ELISA test.

Many people with gluten intolerance and/or celiac disease also have other food allergies. Once you eliminate the gluten and no longer experience intense gluten reaction symptoms, you may discover that you react to several other foods, though none cause as intense a reaction as gluten. Consider getting an ELISA test for other food allergies to determine exactly which foods you should avoid. Elimination diets are very unreliable. People can be allergic to even 'safe' foods.

Cane sugar is in the 'grass' family like wheat, rye, rice, etc. So you can develop cane sugar allergy, if you have gluten sensitivity. I don't react to beet sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, corn syrup, rice nectar or fruit sweetners. Although many processed foods contain cane sugar, there are many other 'safe' substitutes.

BURDEE

Candida albicans overgrowth can do that too.

I believe it to be far more common in recently gluten-free celiacs than the publicity, or lack thereof, it seems to get.

But if vinegar doesn't also make you uncomfortable, then it's probably not candida.

Good luck figuring it out!

YES! I'm also sensitive to cane sugar. After eating cane sugar I react with tachycardia (rapid heart beat), panicky feelings, shakiness, irritability, nausea and eventually headache. However I also tested positive (IgG antibodies) to cane sugar on the ELISA test.

I sometimes seem to have this problem with sugar too. I had some chocolate raisins this morning :ph34r: before going to the GPs and my pulse when he measured it was 106 :blink: I know I've got to get myself sorted, although now's not a good time to have to give up chocolate...but what I was wondering Burdee is how do you tell what type of sugar something has in it? I looked at the choclate raisins and it just says 'sugar'. Do you avoid everything processed that says it has 'sugar' in it?