Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luke987

What Side Effects Can I Get Coming Off Gluten?

I'm only on my second day of 'gluten-free' but I've had some minor stomach aches and a headache already. Is this normal or a bad sign?

Also, instead of making another thread just thought I'd ask, what is the difference between a detox diet and a gluten-free diet? I hear a prolonged detox diet isn't good for you.

Luke

For many there is a bit of a withdrawl when they first go gluten free, this is a good thing it is showing you that you really need to be on the diet. We do not have withdrawl from things that are not poisoning us. The symptoms can vary, for me it was mostly depression and moodiness but I was so sick from everything that if I had a migraine, muscle pain or tummy problems I would not have noticed them as they were part of my everyday existance.

I do not know about the 'detox' diet but I can tell you that the gluten free diet is not missing anything other than poison, it is a very healthy way to eat. This is particularly true if you do not load up on gluten-free treats. It is not lacking in anything unless you make it lack in something. Just remember you want a colorful plate, when you look at your meal. For example a plate with chicken, rice and corn would not be nutritionally sound, if you add some peas and a serving of peaches your set to go. .

I never had a problem with headaches until I went gluten-free, then after a few days gluten-free I started having headaches nonstop for about a month or more. I think it was from lack of carbs (also had no energy - would get extreme cramps when I ran/worked out, etc. - dr. thought it was lack of carbs so I started eating rice and potatoes and it went away).

Hmm, I have only been gluten-free a week, but I have been getting more headaches than usual. I've also been having a little trouble sleeping (waking up a lot during the night and waking up early). It's either stress or no gluten. ;)