Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest sarah73

Gluten Free Antibiotics

Guest sarah73

Hi,

i've been prescribed a combination of antibiotics and i'm having trouble finding a gluten free maker of azithromycin. I thought that Pfizer were clued up about gluten, but having phoned them to clarify what the pre gelitanised starch is in their azitromycin, the pharmacist did not know what i was talking about. Can anyone help. Many thanks - Sarah

Hi,

i've been prescribed a combination of antibiotics and i'm having trouble finding a gluten free maker of azithromycin. I thought that Pfizer were clued up about gluten, but having phoned them to clarify what the pre gelitanised starch is in their azitromycin, the pharmacist did not know what i was talking about. Can anyone help. Many thanks - Sarah

I had posted a topic similar to this titled Generic Z-Pak you might want to look at. I ALWAYS take a name brand Z-Pak when I need antibiotics as I have never had a reaction. But they were out & so I got the Pfizer generic Z-Pak & reacted instantly. I took it back, got the name brand from another pharm & was fine. But both pharms insisted the exact same ingredients are in both pills. Evidently not! Anyway, there are some other helpful opinions & insight on this topic in the other thread.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=36419&hl=

Hi Sarah,

I just took the brand-name Z-Pack this past week. It's gluten-free, per manufacturer.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that I've been gluten-free for 2 years, but this was the first time I've taken it with absolutely no side effects at all. The slight D I had prior to taking it, probably due to my upper respiratory infection, cleared right up.

I was pleasantly surprised :)

Guest sarah73

thanks, i'll probably post about other antibiotics i have to take

Hi,

Hi Sarah,

from my previous experience with the z-pak is similar to yours. my pharmacist is not aware of the ingredients in alot of things (meaning extra stuff to make it) . I looked up Pfizer.com and got a phone number late one night and they connected me to someone and the asked your name/info etc and then they looked it up. The generic z pak contains gluten from what I am told the pill form as well as the liquid that the children take. I just had to have my doc write on the prescription no generic and it seems to work. But I don't trust the pharmacy and I call the company who is suppling the medication. Its a lot of work, but I want to know before I take it. Good Luck Lorrie

I take Azithromycin, the generic for Zithromax. Made by greenstone. It is gluten free.

hi sarah, when i look up green stone pharmaceuticals i seem to get pfizer and johnson and johnson. i think they are the drug company that makes generic products for the big names. I couldn't tell you if that brand is gluten free. Every time I type in Greenstone i get a story regarding generic grands. Sorry. I would ask my pharamacist for the number of the company and call. Good luck. Lorrie