Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JennyC

Fyi: Bob's Red Mill

I called Bob's Red Mill today and I asked them about their products that do not have they gluten free symbol, such as corn meal, and they said that those non-labeled products could be made on lines shared with gluten. The gluten free labeled products are made in a gluten free room. I just thought that I would pass on the information. I have been buying all my grains from Bob's Red Mill. I will call some of the mainstream companies to ask about their practices.

I called Bob's Red Mill today and I asked them about their products that do not have they gluten free symbol, such as corn meal, and they said that those non-labeled products could be made on lines shared with gluten. The gluten free labeled products are made in a gluten free room. I just thought that I would pass on the information. I have been buying all my grains from Bob's Red Mill. I will call some of the mainstream companies to ask about their practices.

Thanks for the info! Good to know.....

I've also called Bob's and gotten the same response. This is why their soy flour does not have the gluten-free logo on it, even though it appears to be gluten-free based on the ingredients. I used to just buy BRM products without looking at the packaging too closely, so I made this mistake.

I got glutened by their cornflour BAD right after I was DX, before I know about their gluten-free line. The cornmeal and corn flour that they offer are processed in their NON-gluten-free facility. They do not ELISA test it, and do not market it as gluten-free (No gluten-free symbol).

They do offer a gluten-free cornbread mix that is gluten-free. The cornmeal for that mix is processed in their gluten-free facility. But because of limited space in their gluten-free mill, they do not offer a gluten-free corn flour or cornmeal as a part of the gluten-free line.

The first six months after my diagnosis, I didn't know that the gluten-free symbol had to be on the package, either. I was eating the carob daily and got sicker and sicker - nearly death. The day I took it out, I gained back 10lbs in 1 week. I trust their products, never react, and always remember to look for the symbol EACH time I re-buy anything just incase.

Thanks so much for this info. I have avoided their products because of fear of CC, even the ones labeled gluten-free. I learned my lesson well from Frito Lay :D It is nice to know that I can try some of their stuff safely. I will admit I should (could) have called but I have so many things that I have bought then donated after a phone call that I never bothered. I have been wanting cornbread for quite some time and will pick up the mix the next trip to the store. Thanks again.

Whoops! I just posted an email I got from Bob's Red Mill without looking at this post! Great minds think alike. Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone finds a vendor that sells decently priced gluten free corn meal.

Emily

Thanks so much for this info. I have avoided their products because of fear of CC, even the ones labeled gluten-free. I learned my lesson well from Frito Lay :D It is nice to know that I can try some of their stuff safely. I will admit I should (could) have called but I have so many things that I have bought then donated after a phone call that I never bothered. I have been wanting cornbread for quite some time and will pick up the mix the next trip to the store. Thanks again.

Ravenwood,

In case the Bob's dosen't work out, The Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix is really good. I make that frequently.

Ravenwood,

In case the Bob's dosen't work out, The Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix is really good. I make that frequently.

I'll have to see if my local health food store will order that for me, I use quite a few of their products that they carry but haven't seen this one. My son told me about Kinnikinick premade pizza shells and they had them in the next week. Those by the way are excellent, expensive but very good buttery tasting and flaky. I tried one toasted in oven then split open and filled with cream cheese and jelly, better than a pop tart but hard to resist eating in one sitting.