Rate this topic

Just wanted to add this here, since I got it today on the CELIAC digest listserv:

"The new base mix for light Frappuccinos now includes gluten, a depressing fact for fans with celiac disease and other forms of gluten intolerance. The regular Frappuccino base mix does not have gluten as an ingredient, but is not officially designated gluten-free because of the risk of cross-contamination. Customers who want a reduced calorie Frappuccino but are sensitive to gluten can request non-fat milk in a regular Frappuccino, the company said."

The date on the blog (Coffee City, by Melissa Allison) post is May 10.

When I called here in the US, I was told the carmel sauce contained gluten also. Maybe a mistake? I have been avoiding the Carmel Macchiato so if this is incorrect I would REALLY like to start drinking it again!

My Celiac daughter drinks Carmel Macchiato's a-plenty and never has a problem.

Just wanted to add this here, since I got it today on the CELIAC digest listserv:

"The new base mix for light Frappuccinos now includes gluten, a depressing fact for fans with celiac disease and other forms of gluten intolerance. The regular Frappuccino base mix does not have gluten as an ingredient, but is not officially designated gluten-free because of the risk of cross-contamination. Customers who want a reduced calorie Frappuccino but are sensitive to gluten can request non-fat milk in a regular Frappuccino, the company said."

The date on the blog (Coffee City, by Melissa Allison) post is May 10.

Crud! I used to get frappucinos all the time. I never got the 'light' version, but now I'm annoyed. <_<

Oh well. My new favorite lately has been the iced white chocolate mocha. But still. What if I want a frappuccino again, now I'm paranoid. Thanks for the heads up.

Thank you so much for this info!!! I have been trying to reach Starbucks to find out if my "Achille's Heel" aka: Caramel Macchiato, contained gluten - and had not received a response or reached anyone about it.

This makes my recent diagnosis of Celiac Disease much less painful.

THANK YOU for sharing this info!!

I would also add that I asked McDonalds HQ via phone, if their McFrappes contained gluten or could be cross contaminated. I was told that the only ingredient that could contain gluten was the Whipped Cream. So I have been ordering mine without whipped cream, and surprise-they no longer make me sick. :)

Good news for me again.

You've made my day! :D

Thank you so much for this info!!! I have been trying to reach Starbucks to find out if my "Achille's Heel" aka: Caramel Macchiato, contained gluten - and had not received a response or reached anyone about it.

This makes my recent diagnosis of Celiac Disease much less painful.

THANK YOU for sharing this info!!

I would also add that I asked McDonalds HQ via phone, if their McFrappes contained gluten or could be cross contaminated. I was told that the only ingredient that could contain gluten was the Whipped Cream. So I have been ordering mine without whipped cream, and surprise-they no longer make me sick. :)

Good news for me again.

You've made my day! :D

Not to ruin your day but you might want to double check the info. This thread is a little dated-just don't want you to get sick! :)

I see from some of your posts that the ingredients can be gluten-free one year and have malt the next, probably depending on where they are sourcing the ingredients. I Wish Starbucks would add a gluten-free menu all year long. It's an easy thing to do if you have a product that is naturally gluten-free like coffee and milk. So all they need to do is educate the staff on it and highlight the menu items that are safe. If outback can do it, they certainly can.

It seems like gluten-free foods have exploded onto the marketplace in the last 2 years and it would be another promotional thing for them to build brand awareness and loyalty.

All of this is making me glad I pretty much stick with cafe mocha, mocha, mocha (extra mocha anyone?) or iced tea. Sigh!

I've been bitten by the malt contamination before, and all I see them do to clean the blenders is swish and rinse. Of course, they don't think of it as cleaning away toxic residue.

I had the christmas peppermint mocha and it was definately full of gluten I was very sick for a few days!! Now I am afraid to try anything else?

The Peppermint mocha and peppermint hot chocolate are both free of gluten ingredients in the US. That's not to say that cross contamination or anything else you might put into the drink is safe! I think it's split down the middle on Starbucks here in the US, I believe you're in Canada based on another thread so I can't comment on that!