Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cris

Making Vegetable Juice Instead Of Eating Raw Veggies

I've been gluten free for about three weeks and have finally gotten to a point of abdominal comfort as long as I hold off on eating lots of fiber. My doctor advised to cook all veggies until they are mush. I know this must cut their nutritional value to almost nothing. I finally had the idea to make vegetable juice with lots of lettuce and spinach for greens and a few carrots for taste. I had my first dose of this an hour ago and so far so good. It's funny (actually not so funny), but the kind of bloat and discomfort I get from, say, broccoli is so much more uncomfortable and painful than what I would get from eating too much almond butter or anything non-veggie. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about juicing?

When I lived outside of Chicago, I had a rather large box of organic lettuce and greens delivered to my door every week for about $20.00 which is really cheap. I juiced every day for months and the nutrition I got from this was much better than taking vitamins. I think it really helped me heal. I wasn't able to eat too much of anything before this. When you do juice though, you have to consume it right away. It spoils really quickly. I went to Dr. Mercola in Schaumburg, IL, and he told me about juicing. He has a pretty popular website now and he has lots of info about juicing on there. His website is www. mercola.com.

Thanks everybody, I'm glad this seems like such a good idea.

I actually have two juicers. The first one I bought was a Champion because of its "masticating" juicing action which was supposed to be the best way of the lesser priced juicers (still a pretty hefty pricetag for me). Then I heard about another one that I just had to have because it had, supposedly, a method of extraction that would let the juice last long enough to be refrigerated for 24 hours. There were two versions, mine is the Green Power. Of these two the Champion is easier to clean, but the masticating it does adds a bit of heat, don't know if it's enough to kill enzymes. The Green Power takes longer to clean, takes a little more muscle to feed carrots but the juice does seem to still taste fresh the next day. Maybe there is a wonderful new juicer that has come out since I got those. I'm not beyond trying one more if it's really great.

I started with a Krups juicer that cost about $40.00. You could probably find quite a few juicers cheap on ebay. I then bought an Omega Juicer for about $250.00. The Omega Juicer is a single gear juicer so it doesn't heat up the juice like the masticating and centrifugal juicers can. I've had my Omega Juicer for 6 years now and it works great and it is easy to clean up. You just have to cut the vegetables small though. I even had a plastic part crack and the company replaced it for free. I would start out with a cheaper juicer though to see if it is something that you really want to keep doing. Even though you may loose some nutrients with a cheaper juicer it is still better than not juicing. Just like eating organic. Non-organic vegetables are better for you than not eating any at all.

when i got diagnosed, my parents bought me a Jack LaLane juicer (like on the infomercials) and I have used it pretty regularly as I was noticing I was having a hard time digesting veggies too. THis juicer can hadle whole apples and carrots so it's more convenient to use but I don't know alot about juicers in general - thi s is my first experience. I wish that it was self-cleaning though :( It's not that bad to clean but when your not feeling weekl, it's just another hassle. It's worth it though.