Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Osteoporosis Meds

Hey,

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and feel certain that he will prescribe and osteoprosis med for me (such as Boniva). For those who take this, do you know which ones are gluten free.

Thanks

Lisa -

I have taken both Fosamax and Actonel and both are gluten-free.

My only concern, and this was pointed out to me by Ursula, is that w/ Fosamax there has been a side affect - very rare, but still - of necrosis of the jaw. :o So I switched to Actonel, but I'm embarassed to tell you taht I haven't even read the tiny, tiny print on the insert to tell you if that has the same side affect as well. :ph34r: I was just warned by an older woman to watch for peculiar achiness, muscle cramps, etc.

Let us know how things go. I have medium- to high-risk bone density loss and it does suck (my back - oy!) :angry:

Lisa -

I have taken both Fosamax and Actonel and both are gluten-free.

My only concern, and this was pointed out to me by Ursula, is that w/ Fosamax there has been a side affect - very rare, but still - of necrosis of the jaw. :o So I switched to Actonel, but I'm embarassed to tell you taht I haven't even read the tiny, tiny print on the insert to tell you if that has the same side affect as well. :ph34r: I was just warned by an older woman to watch for peculiar achiness, muscle cramps, etc.

Let us know how things go. I have medium- to high-risk bone density loss and it does suck (my back - oy!) :angry:

Thanks Susie. I am at severe risk and have no meat on my bones, with very thin limbs. (Watermellon on toothpicks, somes to mind).