This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"naked" Juice

Mally-bug

Mally-bug Apprentice

I have been making soy and 'naked juice' brand juice smoothies since going gluten-free this month. BUT now I see maltodextrin as an ingredient. I read the safe and unsafe foods list and the special note about US FDA making sure maltodextrin is made from corn or potato starch. How do I know Naked Juice is ok for sure??? Has anyone out there found any problems with the 'naked juice' products?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

This comes from the FAQ section on their website:

Is there gluten in Naked Juices?

All Naked Juice products, with the exception of Green Machine, are gluten free. Fruit and vegetable juices are naturally gluten free. Gluten is the protein within the kernels of wheat, rye and barley grains. The gluten in Green Machine is derived from wheat grass.

Open Original Shared Link

Hope that helps.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Sweetfudge Community Regular

love my naked juice!!

• 1 year later...
JohnnyOh Newbie

Here is my letter asking about cross contamination, and the relevant part of their response follows. They basically say they would use a "May Contain" statement if the juice is made on shared equipment with wheat containing products.

=====

Hi,

I have heard good things about Naked Juices, and would love to try them out! I just had a quick question first, though. I have an allergy to wheat, and so I was wondering if any Naked Juice drinks or their ingredients (like the Protein Zone) are handled on the same machines/equipment that also process Naked Juices or other items that have wheat in them (like Green Machine which has "wheat grass" in it). Basically I'm just curious if there is any possibility of cross-contamination, or if some juices are made separately.

Thanks for any info!

=====

=====

Date: January 20, 2009 9:15:16 AM CST

We appreciate your interest in trying Naked Juice and understand your concern over the possible presence of wheat in our juices. Here at Naked Juice we follow all FDA guidelines and that includes the labeling of the top eight allergens.

If a product contains any of the top eight allergens (Milk, Egg, Fish, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Shellfish, Soy, Wheat) , it will be listed in the ingredient list as well as bolded at the end of the ingredient list. This includes all natural and artificial flavors.

We also use a May Contain' statement that would be listed on the package in the event a product is run on a line that also produces a product that contains a top eight allergen and we cannot be 100% confident that the allergen would not carry over resulting in incidental exposure.

Therefore, we suggest that you review the ingredient list of our products before enjoying them to be sure they are wheat free.

=====

• 2 years later...
Rocketlegs Newbie

Ugh, so Green Machine has gluten? I just bought a big bottle of it!!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ugh, so Green Machine has gluten? I just bought a big bottle of it!!

The information from above was posted in 2007 and things may have changed since then. That said, does the bottle you bought have wheat grass as an ingredient? If so it it not safe.

Be warned: Some items with wheat grass or barley grass will also be labeled "gluten free" but don't trust that it means they are free enough of gluten to consume safely for those with celiac or gluten intolerance. The wheat "grass" was likely harvested/processed with the same equipment as the wheat berries (where the gluten protien is) and it's very likely a few wheat berries are mixed in with the grass.

Archived