Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArtGirl

Sloppy Joe Recipe? Free Of Gluten And Corn.

I hope someone can help me. I'd like to make sloppy Joes, but mixes and bottled sauces and most canned goods are out for me because of my corn allergy (corn syrup, citric acid, etc.)

Does anyone make sloppy Joes meat sauce from scratch. I can use canned tomato paste because they don't put citric acid in that. And, I am willing to use a gluten-free soy sauce, but if anyone has a recipe that doesn't use soy, that would be great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here is my recipe:

Sloppy Joe's

1# ground chuck

1 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/2 c. chopped grren pepper

1 can tomato sauce

1/2 c. ketsup

1 tbsp. brown sugar

1. tbsp dryed mustard powder

1.. tbsp vinegar

salt & pepper

Saute onion, celery,green pepper in small amount of oil. ( I never add the oil) Add ground meat & brown ( I usually cook until not much liquid is left). Stir in remaining ingredients & cook until the thickness you like. If it gets to thick just add water to make it thinner.

We have used this recipe for over 30 years...

enjoy

mamaw

Sorry my recipe uses Tomato Puree. And that has citric acid in it.

And I don't measure a lot of stuff I cook. I would have to make it again to see how much garlic powder and onion powder I put in it.

If you want the recipe, let me know and I will make it this weekend. The guys will be thrilled.

Thank you, Mawmaw - this recipe looks simple enough to make some minor changes to fit my restrictions (i.e.: I water down tomato paste to make "sauce" and I can just add the herbs and spices that are in ketchup).

Maryjk - I know how it is - I don't measure much myself. If you really want to make Sloppy Joes this weekend, then, sure, I'll appreciate the recipe.

Question: If I wanted to spice up the sauce a bit, would I just add red pepper? Or would something else be better.

Mine's basically the same as mawmaw's minus the vinegar and with a little chili powder.

Me, too. But I don't use dry mustard in mine. I think I might start using it because it sounds yummy.

You can substitute your safe tomato paste for the tomato sauce in the recipe... just play around with it until it tastes right. Add some water to make up for the water from the sauce.

Geez now I want to put sloppy joes on my shopping list for the week! :)

I think you could zip it up with more dry mustard powder Or adding some hot pepper Or hot sauce to the ingredients.

mamaw & you are every welcome!!!

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

This is good advice. Some restaurants offer gluten-free menus or mark items with “GF” on their regular menu, and I try to eat at such places. I still talk to the manager when I order to be sure. 
    I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...