Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dandelionmom

Freezing The Pamela's Chocolate Cake From A Mix?

I have some in my freezer right now! I freeze them unfrosted and after they defrost I put on the icing. They taste great and it is so easy to pop one out whenever I need a chocolate treat.

Hez

I have put chocolate cake made with the Pamela's Chocolate Cake mix in the freezer before and I found it held up nicely. I just made the cake in a sheet cake pan/ or 9x13 pan and cut it into squares, then I put them into a tupperware container with wax paper in between layers to help keep them from freezing together.

Then when ready to eat I took them out of the freezer and just set them out on the counter to defrost.

I do this all the time also. I have frozen the cake and the cupcakes. I prefer to freeze them as cupcakes, but either works well, I just find the cupcakes easier to frost.

I freeze them unfrosted. I keep my frosting in the fridge and add it after I thaw the cupcake either on the counter or in the microwave.

These are my substitute for hostess cupcakes. I love them.

I do this all the time; in fact, I got a dozen cupcakes in the freezer right now. Anytime my 3 1/2 year old is invited to a birthday party, we thaw one out and put a little frosting on it. And if I'm actually hanging out at the party, too, I bring one for his baby sister and me as well. They hold up great.

I also recently got the bug cakelette pan from Williams Sonoma. I used Pamela's chocolate cake mix, and overfilled the cakes a bit so that they bubbled up past the bug cakelette molds in order to get every detail. I then cut off the bottom so that the cakelettes rested on the plate properly. I froze those extra bits of cake and later thawed them out for use as part of a chocolate crumb dusting on a cheesecake. I would think I could use them for a crust, too, if it's just a little dried out first.

I always freeze unfrosted (not Pamela's but the recipe that I use) and have never had a problem. My grandmother used to freeze cakes with the frosting still on it and the cake part would be fine and the frosting just fell off in chunks.

I just got the William Sonoma bug pan for my birthday - the kids are really excited about it. That's a great tip for the cake crumbles - I'll store that info away for later use :) .