This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Think Onset Of Acute Bout Of Celiac Disease Is Triggered By Exercise?

sandylulu

sandylulu Newbie

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease today, after going to my docter for having acute, severe abdominal cramping that started about an hour after a strenuous tennis match. The cramps lasted for approx an hour, then subsided. I then got them again after a match I played 2 days later, and then the cramps just stayed in mild, chronic form for the next 2 weeks. I feel a little better now. The puzzling thing is that the cramping was triggered by the exercise, but I can find no evidence that Celiac is triggered by exercise. What are your thoughts/Knowledge?

Sandylulu

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

INteresting. Malabsorption of nutrients needed to avoid muscle cramping maybe? Not sure. Anyway, glad you got diagnosed, and can start eating right. Good luck to you.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

That's really interesting. I never really thought about it, but both times in my life that I was really feeling the symptoms were when I was exercising strenuously (and losing weight). Like Bully4U said, it probably has to do with the malabsorption of nutrients and our bodies reacting because we need even more nutrients when we exercise. Also I think when we have symptoms of D then we are already more dehydrated then we should be and exercise will only cause us to need more water. Very interesting post! Thanks!

Emily

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with celiac disease today, after going to my docter for having acute, severe abdominal cramping that started about an hour after a strenuous tennis match. The cramps lasted for approx an hour, then subsided. I then got them again after a match I played 2 days later, and then the cramps just stayed in mild, chronic form for the next 2 weeks. I feel a little better now. The puzzling thing is that the cramping was triggered by the exercise, but I can find no evidence that Celiac is triggered by exercise. What are your thoughts/Knowledge?

Sandylulu

Teacher1958 Apprentice
Hi all,

Sandylulu

There weren't any suspect ingredients in your sports drink, were there?

sandylulu Newbie
There weren't any suspect ingredients in your sports drink, were there?

During the first match I ate a Power Bar, and the second match I drank Gatorade. I think Gatorade is safe, but I am assuming that the power bar is not. I have eaten Power Bars for years with no problems.

It is interesting to consider the malabsorption of nutrients as a culprit for the cramping, as well as dehydration. I have made a conscious effort to hydrate, including adding more salt to my drinks/water, and the last two times I have exercised, the cramps were not as bad.

I appreciate the replies. Thanks--

tarnalberry Community Regular

What power bar did you eat?

I believe all of these have gluten in them - at the very least, oats.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Interesting, but I would suspect either dehydration or gluten also.....I lifted weights (excessively and intensely ) for 20 years, and was a very serious technical rock climber, and never had anything like that. Intestinal problems, for me, didn't start until the last 4 - 5 years, and I'd given up climbing and strenuous weights by then......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I never had a lot of the digestive symptoms associated with celiac. However, during the times I was dealing with intestional problems, I found that I would sometimes get "runner's diarrhea" triggered by an intense or long run.

I also lift weights regularly, swim, and do the other cardio machines in the gym but none of those activities has ever caused problems for me.

I definitely feel so much better when I am getting my exercise!

KMW Newbie

This is a very interesting question and I tend to agree with some of the answers - during strenuous exercise while you are malnourished your body cannot handle the exertion. I was diagnosed after I had begun bicycle training. I was seeing stars and feeling faint while biking and, finally, all day long. I discovered that I was severely anemic. We eventually discovered that the anemia was due to celiac disease. I feel that exercise saved my life because if I hadn

• 1 year later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie
Hi all,

Sandylulu

Celiac isn't something that's triggered. It's not like a migraine or back pain. It's there all the time! If you eat the wrong food.. ie something with gluten in it. You will feel the effects of your disease otherwise it just stays there being pretty much harmless.

• 3 weeks later...
Tinku Newbie

If you have just been diagnosed, then it will take a long time for your body to fully recover.

The only way to speed that up is to not take chances with anything you eat. My gluten reactions last up to 4 days.

I think the cramping is most likely due to your power bar - if it didn't contain Oats it must have been cross contaminated.

Eat LARABAR, KIND or any other expensive bar from the health food store that is made in a Gluten Free facility. If you are on a budget, go for raw nuts and bananas for energy. Nearly all processed food carries a risk for us so be sure to read labels.

• 2 weeks later...
LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

yes, i think excercise does trigger the symptoms of celiac to come forth. Excercise is obviously really good for the body, but depending on the intensity and impact on the body, it can also be a stress. Research shows that people can be born with the celiac genes, but never have it "activated" or triggered until later in life. Stress and traumatic events can effect the body and trigger the deteriorating symptoms of celiac to come on. (sorry if this all isn't completley "on key" I'm just going by what I've read heard! I'm not a doctor! LOL)

I never started having really bad digestive problems until around age 17. I started running when I was 16. When I was 17 my dad died from suicide, a obvious stress on my body....but I also started running more and doing distance running after the event. It was one of my ways of coping... after I intoduced more distance running I started getting D and cramping during the runs. It got to a point where a few years later it would disrupt almost every run. I was so happy when I had days where I went running D FREE!!!

I always notieced my other symptoms like gas and bloating were much better on the days I took off from running or did shorter distances...but they never completely went away until I went gluten/dairy/soy free...which of course took me a long time to figure out!!

So yeah, i think it definitly agrevates the symptoms!

Archived