Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluejeangirl

Does Anyone Here Take Omega 3 Fish Oil Caps

I just starting taking EPA/DHA essentials from pure encapsulations. It has 1000 mg of fish oil concentrate. However, I'm feeling naucous. Its a medium level, all day feeling much like motion sickness if you ever had that. I don't like it and its has to be from this fish oil. I guess I've been eating healthy for quite a few years now so I don't have fried foods or fatty foods that I can connect this feeling to, although I remember getting sick from eating alot of chicken wings and someone mentioning its very high fat because your eating alot of chicken skin. I never ate them again.

Has anyone else expirence this taking fish oil? Did you continue to take it.

Thanks for any help with this.

Gail

Could this indicate a gall bladder issue?

I'm taking Costco brand Fish Oil caps 1000 mg. 2x daily. I haven't had any discomfort.

Steve

I take fish oil (liquid form) at around 7 grams a day (yes, grams) for anti-inflammatory purposes (the dosage has been tailored for me, I'm not trying to make recommendations), and don't experience nausea, but you might try different brands, and make sure that they're staying fresh (kept in the fridge, etc.)

I take Advanced Nutritional Technology SuperEPA 2000 Natural Fish Oil Concentrate, 1000 mg and I take 2/day. I haven't had any nausea problems with it from the beginning. My hubby's cardio doc recommended them to him and when I wanted to try them for general health, I started taking them. They have EPA and DHA. I don't keep them in the fridge but we get them by mail order. My hubby was taking cod liver oil and gave himself a case of osteopenia from overdoing it. The doc explained that you want a lab grade fish oil that doesn't have vitamin A and to watch out for cheap oils because they sometimes have mercury.

It has helped my arthiritis and my cholesterol/triglycerides are in a good spot. But I eat heart healthy anyway (EVOO or Benecol instead of butter).

I take Advanced Nutritional Technology SuperEPA 2000 Natural Fish Oil Concentrate, 1000 mg and I take 2/day. I haven't had any nausea problems with it from the beginning. My hubby's cardio doc recommended them to him and when I wanted to try them for general health, I started taking them. They have EPA and DHA. I don't keep them in the fridge but we get them by mail order. My hubby was taking cod liver oil and gave himself a case of osteopenia from overdoing it. The doc explained that you want a lab grade fish oil that doesn't have vitamin A and to watch out for cheap oils because they sometimes have mercury.

It has helped my arthiritis and my cholesterol/triglycerides are in a good spot. But I eat heart healthy anyway (EVOO or Benecol instead of butter).

I don't understand. What's the link between your hubby's osteopenia and taking Cod liver oil? Isn't Cod liver oil an excellent natural source of vitamin D which is good for you bones?

Steve

I don't understand. What's the link between your hubby's osteopenia and taking Cod liver oil? Isn't Cod liver oil an excellent natural source of vitamin D which is good for you bones?

Steve

Yes, it is an excellent natural source of vitamin D but it also is high in vitamin A and according to Hubby's doc, too much vitamin A can weaken bones. He was taking liquid cod liver oil and not measuring it, just drinking it from the bottle. Add in eating large romaine lettuce salads ( http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20dv.html [check vitamin A level for one head]) and cold water fish, he managed to take too much for several years and wound up with osteopenia. Fortunately, he was able to rebuild his bones with just stopping the vitamin A and taking calcium supplements. It was a lesson to me to find out the upper limits on the nutritional supplements I take.

Vitamin A overdose and toxicity

An vitamin A overdose can be harmful to bones and skin, causing weakness and brittleness, even leading to fatigue and vomiting. ...

For those 19 and older, the tolerable upper limit for vitamin A consumption has been set at 10,000 IU per day.

http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/vitamin-A.php

I use Carlson's fish oil and/or cod liver oil. I use the liquid though. I tried the capsules and they didn't work for me. I use the fish oil in the summer when I am getting vitamin D from the sun and cod liver oil in the winter when I am not out in the sun as much.

I'm guessing it's either an issue with my gall bladder or maybe just this brand. Last night we went out to eat and I ordered the grilled salmon. I can eat about 5 oz. of salmon, vinagrette on my salad and butter on my potato and not feel sick like I did with one capsule of the salmon oil. I'm pretty sure 1,000 mg, is like 4 oz of salmon. So I guess my next step would be to try a different brand.

I don't want to give up on this because I know the benefits of omega 3 are phenomenal. Thanks to those who commented.

Gail

I am severely allergic to salmon so I take a fish oil product by Spectrum that has oil from anchovies, mackerel and sardines. My sister has high cholesterol and dad has had 2 heart attacks so I think supplementing is a wise thing to do.

I was taking Wholemega by New Chapter which caused bruising and nosebleeds after 3 weeks. They went right in the trash. I never had bruising or bleeding problems before...or since. From what I understand, this is not an unusual side effect of fish oil supplements.