Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tuxedocat

Raw Vegan Food, Is It Safe?

Raw vegan food is pretty much always gluten-free. I guess it's good to double check when you're there, but I've been to raw vegan restaurants that had 100% gluten-free menus.

I have tried a raw vegan diet and it's not necessarily gluten free. Nama Shoyu is sometimes used. That's a raw soy sauce and it has wheat in it. Some recipes have sprouted wheat berries or barley.

There's a raw vegan restaurant in Seattle and only a few of the dishes are gluten free. Be sure to mention the gluten problem before ordering.

a raw foods place can almost always be counted on to have gluten free options, but not all of the raw foods will be gluten free - there might only be a few items. I have liked the places I've tried, and say that it's worth giving it a go, but I have funny tastes. ;)

I'm a vegan and slowly adopting a 90% or so vegan raw diet (I'm just having trouble with giving up tofu and coffee, and currently battling candida, too, so I am at a diet stand still).

Wheat berries and wheat grass, barley, rye berries, all of those are often sprouted. Other than those, it's generally safe. I never, ever eat out though.