This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten - Free Hair, Make-up, Skin Care Products

sedunk

sedunk Apprentice

Greetings,

I am new to Celiac Biz. I have been gluten-free for about 2 1/2 weeks. I am also allergic to almonds. I was wondering anyone could suggest some great gluten-free personal care products.

I am Italian, have long curly hair. If anyone could suggest a gluten-free detangler or miracle conditioner, ANTI_FRIZZ, as well as hair dyes. I have never had reactions to my hair care products until I gave up Gluten. I am not sure what is going on, but am having a really bad hair day! I have contacted Garnier and they have told me that their products are gluten-free, they were certain about the their new line of products though. I usuallly use Redkin and that is clearly not working out for me. My head itches so bad! YIKES! I was also using treseme.

My dermatologist told me that I should not be having any reactions to my products and thinks that I may be allergic to more than gluten, oh joy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, anything from lotions, soaps, PERFUMES, make-up, dryer sheets, cleaning products. ANYTHING!

Does anyone know if Victoria Secret perfumes and lotions are gluten-free.

Does anyone know any stores in NH or internet sites, mail order, where I would be able to order gluten-free products?

Many thanks

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

isiskingdom Contributor
Greetings,

I am new to Celiac Biz. I have been gluten-free for about 2 1/2 weeks. I am also allergic to almonds. I was wondering anyone could suggest some great gluten-free personal care products.

I am Italian, have long curly hair. If anyone could suggest a gluten-free detangler or miracle conditioner, ANTI_FRIZZ, as well as hair dyes. I have never had reactions to my hair care products until I gave up Gluten. I am not sure what is going on, but am having a really bad hair day! I have contacted Garnier and they have told me that their products are gluten-free, they were certain about the their new line of products though. I usuallly use Redkin and that is clearly not working out for me. My head itches so bad! YIKES! I was also using treseme.

My dermatologist told me that I should not be having any reactions to my products and thinks that I may be allergic to more than gluten, oh joy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, anything from lotions, soaps, PERFUMES, make-up, dryer sheets, cleaning products. ANYTHING!

Does anyone know if Victoria Secret perfumes and lotions are gluten-free.

Does anyone know any stores in NH or internet sites, mail order, where I would be able to order gluten-free products?

Many thanks

Sara

Hi I read your post and I can tell you that Dove products are safe, make up you have to read which is pain, softsoap is safe,I was told that most of Burts Bees products are safe they have a shampoo and conditioner w/ grapefruit, Dawn dishsoap is ok, and I emailed Victoria Secret about there products. I will let you know when I hear something. As far as stores.....Open Original Shared Link for breads that taste good or gluten free.com. for other foods. I do not know what stores you have by you look to see if you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's. This is a life changing thing and I'm not going to lie to you its hard. I have been gluten free for almost 5 months and I just recently found out I am dairy intolerant which does and can happen after you are gluten-free. I will let you know about the VS products. Hope I helped a little?

Worriedwife Apprentice

I have not been able to find any dryer sheets that do not contain gluten. If anyone knows of one, please post it.

I use the Dove shampoo, since I gave up my treasured Pantene products. I don't think that Treseme is gluten-free. As for make-up and moisturizers, Nutregena is usually pretty good, but you have to read the labels. You may need to contact the comapny directly to ask about a specific ingrediant.

Hope this helps!

jerseyangel Proficient

Worriedwife,

If you have a Wegman's near you, their "Free of Dyes and Perfumes" fabric softener sheets are gluten-free. I verified that via email.

Definately contact Neutrogena about any product you're interested in. There's a gluten-free list floating around, but I've spoken to that company on several occasions, and there are products on that list that shouldn't be. I use their Foaming Face Cleanser and the SPF 15 Face Moisture--those are gluten-free for sure.

Dove will clearly list any gluten on the label, and Garnier has many gluten-free products--you can call them to verify, they are very nice. I use their Smoothing Milk for my hair and love it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

In addition to the products already mentioned Giovanni organic hair products are gluten-free, or were the last I checked. I use the 50/50 shampoo and the smooth as silk conditioner. They also have a serum that is for curly hair that is antifrizz and I had good luck with it. I also will use pure coconut oil, a very light amount if my hair seems real dry. Suave is another company that will clearly label gluten ingredients according to their rep. I use a couple of their lotions with good results.

sedunk Apprentice

Many thanks. The dairy thinks doesn't sound like much fun and I will be in big trouble, because I have lived on Ice Cream and cheese for the past three weeks. I need to meet with a nutritionist next week.

You helped a lot.

Hi I read your post and I can tell you that Dove products are safe, make up you have to read which is pain, softsoap is safe,I was told that most of Burts Bees products are safe they have a shampoo and conditioner w/ grapefruit, Dawn dishsoap is ok, and I emailed Victoria Secret about there products. I will let you know when I hear something. As far as stores.....Open Original Shared Link for breads that taste good or gluten free.com. for other foods. I do not know what stores you have by you look to see if you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's. This is a life changing thing and I'm not going to lie to you its hard. I have been gluten free for almost 5 months and I just recently found out I am dairy intolerant which does and can happen after you are gluten-free. I will let you know about the VS products. Hope I helped a little?
sedunk Apprentice

Greetings,

Many thanks to all of you that replied. My hair is out of control and will have to invest in some of these products.

Have a Happy Hair Day!

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

michiamojersey Rookie

Funny, I should come across this topic! I can help with the Victoria's Secret question. They said that their Garden Collection, (Love Spell, Amber Romance, Pure Seduction, Pear Glace, Strawberries and Champagne, My Desire, etc.) is gluten-free...but they can't guarantee that any of their other products are. I actually work at VS and I was checking the labels of all our beauty products today and it looks like most of the Insatiable shower gel/shampoos have gluten in them, (the company releases 3 new scents about every 4 months-some scents include Key Lime Lust, Carmel Kiss, Chocolate Covered Berries, etc.) but the lotions look okay. I'm just learning how to read beauty product labels, so don't quote me....jeez, it took long enough to read FOOD labels! :P I think the haircare is also out of the question. I'm not quite sure about the Dream Angels collection, (Heavenly, Desire, Divine, Halo) because I don't wear those fragrances, but if you call HR they are very accomodating and nice. I hope this helps some of you out!

Moustique77 Newbie

I was looking for some men's skin care products recently and came across a web store that actually has a gluten-free list of skin/body care products. www.skin-spa.com/glutenfree.htm has stuff for men and women. My wife was excited about this because she contacted them and is getting some free samples to try. They seem knowledgeable. I think the owner has celiac disease.

sedunk Apprentice
Funny, I should come across this topic! I can help with the Victoria's Secret question. They said that their Garden Collection, (Love Spell, Amber Romance, Pure Seduction, Pear Glace, Strawberries and Champagne, My Desire, etc.) is gluten-free...but they can't guarantee that any of their other products are. I actually work at VS and I was checking the labels of all our beauty products today and it looks like most of the Insatiable shower gel/shampoos have gluten in them, (the company releases 3 new scents about every 4 months-some scents include Key Lime Lust, Carmel Kiss, Chocolate Covered Berries, etc.) but the lotions look okay. I'm just learning how to read beauty product labels, so don't quote me....jeez, it took long enough to read FOOD labels! :P I think the haircare is also out of the question. I'm not quite sure about the Dream Angels collection, (Heavenly, Desire, Divine, Halo) because I don't wear those fragrances, but if you call HR they are very accomodating and nice. I hope this helps some of you out!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I AM SO HAPPY! You have made my day

• 3 years later...
speech74 Newbie

I have been gluten free for 6 months now but have had difficulty with my skin and scalp when it comes to hair care products, lotions, makeup etc. When I use products with gluten in them, I breakout in cyst like lesions on my chest, back, and face, itchy scalp and pustules. It has taken months for the cysts to go away and I'm not sure if they will leave any scars. Some of the blog/forums I read mentioned that it is not likely that gluten would be absorbed into the skin because the molecules are too big. Well that is not true for me and it may not be true for you either. Our skin absorbs 90% of what we place on it!

I just wanted to post some gluten free products that I have been using without any skin or scalp reactions.

Haircare:

Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo and Conditioner (online)

Max Green Alchemy Texture Paste

Paul Mitchell Soft Spray Hair Spray

Face Products:

Rhonda Allison glycolic wash

Rhonda Allison Impure face mask

Rhonda Allison Pumice Wash

Skin Ceuticals Serums

Neocutis moisturizers and sunblock

Be careful of pumpkin products by Rhonda Allison...I had a skin reaction to them even though they do not have gluten in them.

Mascara:

NARS mascara (Sephora)

Make up:

Bare Escentuals foundation, eye shadows (Full list of gluten free products on their website)

Pangea Organics lip balm

Soaps:

Pangea Organics body bar soap

Pangea Organics hand soap

Tom's of Maine bar soap (All of Tom's of Maine products are gluten free)

Body oils and lotions:

Pangea Organics body oil (All of Pangea organics is gluten free)

Pangea Organics body lotion

Lubriderm lotion with 30 SPF sunscreen

Coppertone sunblock

Deodorant:

Secret Clinical protection

Toothpaste:

Tom's of Maine

Hope this list helps get you started on some gluten free products. The grocery guide also has some gluten free hair care and skin care products.

Kristin <><

kareng Grand Master

Please note: All but the previous post are very old in "product time". Formulas on products mentioned 4 years ago may have changed.

daniknik Apprentice

Hi!

I am also Celiac with Curly Hair! I have used Kinky Curly products on my hair since I went gluten free a year and a half ago. I LOVE their products! You can get them at Whole foods or Target, or online at their website: Open Original Shared Link. The great thing is that they smell fantastic too! I usually shampoo and apply a small amount of the conditioner which I leave in. I follow with the curling custard and finger curl my hair before letting it air dry. I may also use some of the Aubrey Natural Misst hairspray to finish. Hope this helps!

Naturally Curly.com has a link to wheat/gluten free products here: Open Original Shared Link

BTW, if you have dry scalp along with your curly hair (which is common-you'll have an itchy scalp and may see white flakes) you can deep condition your scalp by massaging about 1 oz of coconut oil into your scalp/hair and leaving it on your head (I wrap my head with a towel) for about 30 minutes before shampooing. You can then follow up with an Apple-Cider vinegar rinse (2T apple-cider vinegar to one cup water) to clarify and and shine. It's worked wonders for me and helped calm the itchies that I can get as a result of dryness.

Archived