Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueeyedmanda

Cake Recipes

My birthday is rolling around and my coworkers are looking to bake me a cake. It is a tradition in our office that we get a cake and go out to lunch on our birthday's. Usually we buy the cake of the birthday persons choice. For me we are making one. So Susan, my baker has asked me to grab a recipe of my choice.

I never baked a gluten-free free cake.

I am looking to you guys for help since you would know what tastes good and what will appeal to all my gluten eating friends in the office.

I like fruit things too. If you can give me the recipes you like and have tried and had success I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

Manda:

What about Philly CheeseCake (in the tub) with fruit topping. It would be more like pudding rather than a cake, but it tastes wonderful.

This is a link to an interesting recipe that I found. I have not tried it yet. It is a french chocolate cake recipe and the only grain used in it is cornstarch, so your coworkers would probably have all the ingredients needed to make it in their pantry, well except for all the chocolate. B)

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/boo...ke-3/Chap1.html

What about a Flourless Chocolate Cake with a Dark Chocolate Ganache (Coating) and Raspberries on top? Or a Gluten Free Yellow Cake your friends can dress up with some whipped cream or frosting and berries?

Ohhh... or what about a Almond Yogurt Cake?

Hi Blueeyedmanda,

Here is a list of links to cake recipes (all have photo's)

check and see which one takes your fancy?

Chocolate cake 2 types

Fruit and nut cup cakes

can also be made in a 8" cake tin.

Apple raisin and walnut cake

Cornflour sponge cake

Hope these are of some use?

Have a very happy birthday (when it does finally arrive)

Best Regards,

David

There's an awesome gluten free cake recipe on allrecipes.com. Just do a search for gluten free yellow cake. It's by far the best gluten free cake I've tried yet. Have you considered asking them to make it from a mix though? There will be less chance of CC and improper ingredient choices from a mix. I don't have any to recommend though.

I was in a huge time crunch and baked Pamela's chocolate cake mix for my son's birthday, all I can say is WOW--I'd like to try rich version with the added sour cream--or the mocha version with espresso(Now I want cake :D ). My son kept asking for 'more chocolate'!!

Namaste makes an excellent chocolate cake mix; however, we did not like their vanilla cake. Also, look at "Calling all serious bakers" in this section for a chocolate cake recipe made from scratch that I posted a few days ago. It makes an excellent cake that even non-Celiacs in the family love to eat.

Don't be discouraged. We all experience trial and error, but it's great to share recipes through this website.

Jo Ann

Ditto on Namaste Chocolate Cake Mix. You'll find none better, It is a really rich and very dark chocolate cake. I don't think I've ever had a chocolate cake as good, gluten free or otherwise (I'm not the celiac)

I totally agree about their Vanilla cake mix..not so good. BUT, I have developed a recipe to use it. Make the mix according to directions, then add 4 finely chopped apples that have been tossed with cinnamon and sugar and bake as muffins. They are absolutely to die for. Get ready for raves from celiacs and non-celiacs alike.

I have also used zucchinni instead of apples and its great too. Once I added a handful of finely chopped pecans and that was really good.

I can't believe how I don't like it as a cake mix but l love it so as muffins.

My birthday is rolling around and my coworkers are looking to bake me a cake. It is a tradition in our office that we get a cake and go out to lunch on our birthday's. Usually we buy the cake of the birthday persons choice. For me we are making one. So Susan, my baker has asked me to grab a recipe of my choice.

I never baked a gluten-free free cake.

I am looking to you guys for help since you would know what tastes good and what will appeal to all my gluten eating friends in the office.

I like fruit things too. If you can give me the recipes you like and have tried and had success I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

Hi,

Do you like chocolate cake ? Or white cake ? I have a very easy Texas sheet cake recipe that is a chocolate cake that is VERY moist and the chocolate icing is really really creamy, I also have a very good white cake recipe that is also very good. If you would like one of them or both I would be happy to give you the recipes.

Sue

Hi,

Do you like chocolate cake ? Or white cake ? I have a very easy Texas sheet cake recipe that is a chocolate cake that is VERY moist and the chocolate icing is really really creamy, I also have a very good white cake recipe that is also very good. If you would like one of them or both I would be happy to give you the recipes.

Sue

Sue please do share the chocolate recipe.

Sue please do share the chocolate recipe.

Sure here is the recipe for Texas sheet cake

2 cups of sugar

2 cups of rice flour

1 stick of margarine (or butter)

1 cup of water

4 Tablespoons of cocoa

1/2 cup of buttermilk

2 eggs

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon xantham gum

Put flour and sugar in a bowl and set aside. Boil margarine, water and cocoa, pour into flour and sugar, add buttermilk, 2 beaten eggs, baking soda and vanilla.

Bake at 400 (now if you use a long sheet pan, like a deep cookie sheet, bake for 15-18 minutes, just check the center of the cake with a toothpick) if you use a regular size can pan that makes a quarter of a sheet then bake for 23-25 and again check the center.

Icing

1 stick butter

3 Tablespoons cocoa

2 Tablespoons milk

add powdered sugar until it is as thin or thick as you like and pour over slightly warm cake

ENJOY !!

Sue

Namaste Spice Cake - YUM!

Or - Crustless Cheese Cake - do a search on www.cooks.com -

Or - GFP Choc Truffle Brownies .... But then again, I'd take brownies over a cake any day.

Happy Soon Birthday!

Try Karina's gluten free carrot cake http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/search/label/sweets which my teenaged kids said is the best, hands down, carrot cake ever- including ones with gluten.

~Laura

Namaste Spice Cake - YUM!

Or - Crustless Cheese Cake - do a search on www.cooks.com -

Or - GFP Choc Truffle Brownies .... But then again, I'd take brownies over a cake any day.

Happy Soon Birthday!

Try Karina's gluten free carrot cake http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/search/label/sweets which my teenaged kids said is the best, hands down, carrot cake ever- including ones with gluten.

~Laura

I haven't tried this one yet, but I must say that I LOVE the glutenfree goddess :D she's got some great recipes!!!

Sue(Pooh 4),

I'd love to have your recipe for a good white or yellow cake. Have a good chocolate recipe, but have not had much luck with mixes or from scratch recipes for white or yellow cake. Our grandson has celiac disease and loves the chocolate cake. Our daughter eats gluten-free (she doesn't test positive, but she feels much better on the diet) and she doesn't like chocolate. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Sue(Pooh 4),

I'd love to have your recipe for a good white or yellow cake. Have a good chocolate recipe, but have not had much luck with mixes or from scratch recipes for white or yellow cake. Our grandson has celiac disease and loves the chocolate cake. Our daughter eats gluten-free (she doesn't test positive, but she feels much better on the diet) and she doesn't like chocolate. Thanks!

Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann,

Here is the gluten free white cake recipe.

1 1/2 cups of rice flour

3/4 cup tapioca flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. xantham gum

4 eggs

1 1/2 cup of sugar

2/3 cup of mayonnaise

1 cup of milk

2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven 350, grease and flour (rice flour) your pan

Mix both flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder, xantham gum (set aside)

Mix eggs, sugar, mayonnaise, until fluffy tne add your flour mixture, then milk and vanilla and mix well.

Spread into pan

Bake for 25 minutes (check with toothpick in the center of the cake to make sure it is done)

I sometimes make this cake in a quarter sheet pan or in two round pans (and have a two layer cake)

Here is the icing recipe I use on this cake, but you can use whatever kind you would prefer

Wilton's white icing (This icing is very creamy, reminds me of wedding cake icing)

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 cup real butter

1 tsp. vanilla

4 cups powder sugar

2 tsp milk

Cream crisco, butter with a mixer, add vanilla, slowly add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, beat well then add milk (if it is too thick add a littel more milk)

Enjoy

Sue

I made the Gluten Free Tx Sheet cake this weekend. It is to DIE for and is exactly like the original. My hubby plans to make this for my birthday in a couple weeks. I plan on eating as much as is allowed! :rolleyes::P

THANK YOU!

Monica

Try baking with cassava flour. I gave my coworker some cassava flour to make a carrot cake for me when she was baking a conventional cake for everyone else. My co-workers tried the gluten free carrot cake with the cassava flour and ate it off before the cake with the conventional flour. It was excellent. She also made some chocolate cookies for me using the cassava and they tasted pretty good, not as good as the carrot cake but better that alot of other flours I have tried.

Good Luck

Sue(Pooh 4),

Jo Ann

Guest j_mommy

How about better than sex cake.....

Make a choc cake mix or bake one

Let cool

Take the end of a wooden spoon(or similar cooking utensil) and poke holes in the cake.

Drizzle about half a jar of carmel sauce on it(I heat it up alittle first)

Drizzle 1/4 of a can of sweetened condensed milk on the cake

again with the carmel, again with the milk(note: in total I use about 1/2 to 1/3 of teh milk and all the carmel)

Top with Wipped topping and store in fridge!!!

Enjoy this very bad for you cake!

How about better than sex cake.....

Make a choc cake mix or bake one

Let cool

Take the end of a wooden spoon(or similar cooking utensil) and poke holes in the cake.

Drizzle about half a jar of carmel sauce on it(I heat it up alittle first)

Drizzle 1/4 of a can of sweetened condensed milk on the cake

again with the carmel, again with the milk(note: in total I use about 1/2 to 1/3 of teh milk and all the carmel)

Top with Wipped topping and store in fridge!!!

Enjoy this very bad for you cake!

This sounds SOOOOOOOOOoo sinful!! I'm dying to try it. Thanks for sharing.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

My favorite cake mix so far is Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix. I made this for my bday last month. I made 2 round layers and then frosted it with dark chocolate frosting.

It makes a rich moist chocolate cake, and my gluten eating family raved about it- they couldn't believe it was gluten-free.

I personally have not found a yellow/white cake mix that I like. I also don't care for the Namaste Vanilla Cake Mix, and I tried once making a vanilla layer cake with Pamela's all purpose baking mix, it was not good.

Hi Jo Ann,

Here is the gluten free white cake recipe.

1 1/2 cups of rice flour

3/4 cup tapioca flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. xantham gum

4 eggs

1 1/2 cup of sugar

2/3 cup of mayonnaise

1 cup of milk

2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven 350, grease and flour (rice flour) your pan

Mix both flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder, xantham gum (set aside)

Mix eggs, sugar, mayonnaise, until fluffy tne add your flour mixture, then milk and vanilla and mix well.

Spread into pan

Bake for 25 minutes (check with toothpick in the center of the cake to make sure it is done)

I sometimes make this cake in a quarter sheet pan or in two round pans (and have a two layer cake)

I 2nd this recipe. You can see how good it is by the 5 star rating from 55 users http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-Y...ake/Detail.aspx

REALLY yummy. My entire gluten eating family loves it.

I also 2nd (or 3rd) Pamela's chocolate cake mix. It is MUCH better with the sour cream added in the "rich" version. Ditto what I said above about my family.

For both of these I use the frosting recipe on the side of Hershey's cocoa. Nothing gritting or "gluten-free-tasting" about either.