Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joni63

Couple Food Questions

Hello everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed officially as of this morning. I had positive bloodwork a few weeks back so I did buy some gluten free stuff and started preparing so I could go on the diet after my endo test today.

Anyway, even though I felt pretty well prepared I just need to double check a couple things I've eaten today.

Is all orange juice gluten free, they gave me that at the hospital and I assumed it would be ok but am not positive?

Also, I had Sharp Cheddar Cheese and the Ingredients are:

Pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, and enzymes. I'm not sure about the enzymes.

Thanks in advance, I really want to get off to a good start and just need some additional help and support!

Joni

Hello everyone,

I'm newly diagnosed officially as of this morning. I had positive bloodwork a few weeks back so I did buy some gluten free stuff and started preparing so I could go on the diet after my endo test today.

Anyway, even though I felt pretty well prepared I just need to double check a couple things I've eaten today.

Is all orange juice gluten free, they gave me that at the hospital and I assumed it would be ok but am not positive?

Also, I had Sharp Cheddar Cheese and the Ingredients are:

Pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, and enzymes. I'm not sure about the enzymes.

Thanks in advance, I really want to get off to a good start and just need some additional help and support!

Joni

An official welcome!

Not all juices are gluten free. You have to look for 100% juice and it is always good to read the labels.

The cheddar cheese should be go to go, but as you may have read from others, dairy is often hard to digest in the beginning. Try going dairy light until some healing can begin.

If you have any other questions, always feel free.

^^^^^

Yeah . . . . What she said! (Hi goosey!)

The enzymes in the cheese are, I think, entirely milk-based and mostly just speed up the cheesemaking.

Maybe a few days 100% dairy-free will be worth a try sometime soon just to see if u notice any difference.

Ok, more than maybe - it's almost certainly worth a check.

Thank you!

You are life savers. I don't know what I would do without this forum and the nice people here. This is not easy to do and the amount of learning that has to be done at first about ingredients and products is monumental. ;)

I have a feeling dairy bothers me too. Just drinking coffee with a little bit of milk makes me burp. My breakfast used to be kashi cereal and milk and then I'd go jog 3 miles only to burp about 20 to 30 times the whole time. Annoying! I had hoped switching to soy milk would be enough, but I guess I'll need to do away with cheese for a while altogether.

This morning I had Gorilla Munch and Silk Milk with flax seed. Hope I can jog without all that belching this morning. :)

I did really well yesterday and then for my snack I may have had gluten. I ate Black Bear American Cheese which the deli lady gave me the wrong one because I specifically asked for Boars Head. Then I had rice crackers that stated gluten free on the package but had that statement that said they are produced in a facility with wheat. I spent 2 more dollars on that package because it specifically said 'gluten free'. Now I know I have to read everything.

Well, out to jog. I'm curious to see how my stomach acts on this new breakfast. :huh:

It's a good idea to go dairy free for the first few months after a Celiac diagnosis because the villi are damaged. It's the tips of the villi that begin to digest dairy. Until the villi can heal, you may be lactose intolerant.

A note on the deli--you should ask the person behind the counter to clean the slicer before slicing your order. There may be gluten residue on it. Better still, get the pre-packaged cold cuts and cheeses.

Thank you, I will go dairy free and see how it goes.

I think I'll go with the prepackaged deli meats then. I can't imagine the deli people taking to kindly to me asking them to clean the slicer. They are usually busy with several orders to fill when I go. I'm curious about others experience at deli counters? How do they react when you ask them to clean the slicer? How do you explain it?

I seriously messed up at dinner just now. I made gluten free pasta for me and regular pasta for the family. But when it was time to test it for doneness I ate half a piece of the non gluten free pasta like I have done for years and years. Old habits die hard, I guess. I'm really bummed I did that.

Also, is it normal to have headaches when going gluten free? I'm having them on and off today.

Is ibuprofin ok to take? I need something, but don't know what I can have.

Thanks again.

It depends on the brand of ibuprofin. Many medications are not gluten free. Excedrin tablets are gluten free. That's all I know about off hand. I believe Tylenol's website has a list of their gluten free medications. Oh yeah, Tylenol original caplets are gluten free.

I think headaches are a common detox symptom. I got terrible headaches and migraines almost daily until I finally cut out all sources of gluten from my diet including cross contamination and hidden sources. You may find that you don't get rid of these nagging symptoms unless you make your household gluten free. That's what I ended up having to do. Finally got rid of the headaches, depression, and paranoia after that. :)

Deli counters can be dangerous for Celiacs. I just buy the prepackaged stuff. I know it's not as healthy and it's more expensive, but I really don't want to get sick. It's just not worth it. I wouldn't trust them to clean the machine thoroughly enough to keep me from getting glutened.