Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmmadden

Eating Gluten Free On Norweigan Cruise Line

Hey all,

I just got back from a week long Alaskan Cruise aboard the Norweigan Pearl and wanted to share the positive experience.

A few weeks before my trip I was contacted by a rep from Norweigan who sent me a list of gluten free foods that I could pick from and they would make sure to have aboard. Once aboard I was contacted by the Maitre'D from the main dining room (first day aboard) who met with me and reviewed the gluten-free selections on each nights menu. He reassured me that all meals would be cooked in seperate pots/pans and that my morning bagels would be made seperate from the regular toasters. If nothing was easily adapted into a gluten-free meal then I could order gluten-free pasta, plain chicken, steak etc. I also was given special gluten-free desserts that were not on the regular menu if nothing else was available. The only thing they didn't bring aboard that I had requested was some Gluten Free beer (Oh well). I was also allowed to pre-arrange for a gluten-free meal ashore during one of my excursions.

The whole experience led to a great week where I could enjoy myself without worrying about being glutened. Anyone interested in cruising should consider Norweigan. They'll get my business again!

Cleveland Bob B)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to take my son someday and show him where mom's from. I was born there and moved away when I was young and never been back but it's the kind of place that leaves a lasting impression on you. I have some wonderful memories. Now I have confidence that a successful gluten-free trip is possible.

I recently went on a cruise with another cruise line (Amadeus) and they did a poor job. Another celiac on board had recently gone on a cruise with Norwegian, however, and said it had been a wonderful experience. Perhaps it is easier to be accommodated on a larger ship? (I was on a small river ship.) Anyway, I was thinking my next cruise would be with Norwegian. Thanks for sharing another positive experience with them.