This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Lady Thing

L.A.

L.A. Contributor

Good Morning: Do any of the other ladies out there experience tummy trouble with their period? It's seems since I have been gluten free, cramps etc upset my whole system. Any adcise would be helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stargazer Rookie

I was diagnosed with Celiac in November. I had no problems with my periods at that time, but after being on the gluten free diet for a couple of months, I started having terrible cramps and pain before, during, and after my periods!! I only had a few days out of the month that I felt okay. The pain was similar to the scale of having contractions! Not only was the pain hard to deal with, but my periods started lasting for 15 days!! My doctor did cat scans and ultrasounds and couldn't find anything wrong with me. At a last resort, I went back on the Pill. It took a couple of months after being on the Pill, but now the pain (it is still there) is much, much less intense, and my periods are much shorter and not as heavy. I can't explain it, and neither can my doctor. I don't know why a gluten free diet could cause so much havoc in that area, when it does so good for my tummy! My whole system was turned upside down! I think I have it under control now. I hope you find a solution :)

L.A. Contributor
I was diagnosed with Celiac in November. I had no problems with my periods at that time, but after being on the gluten free diet for a couple of months, I started having terrible cramps and pain before, during, and after my periods!! I only had a few days out of the month that I felt okay. The pain was similar to the scale of having contractions! Not only was the pain hard to deal with, but my periods started lasting for 15 days!! My doctor did cat scans and ultrasounds and couldn't find anything wrong with me. At a last resort, I went back on the Pill. It took a couple of months after being on the Pill, but now the pain (it is still there) is much, much less intense, and my periods are much shorter and not as heavy. I can't explain it, and neither can my doctor. I don't know why a gluten free diet could cause so much havoc in that area, when it does so good for my tummy! My whole system was turned upside down! I think I have it under control now. I hope you find a solution :)

Thanks! Maybe I should just get pregnant :lol:

melrobsings Contributor

yes and i get very gassy like an old lady and when i do stairs i'm passing gas with every step...

L.A. Contributor
yes and i get very gassy like an old lady and when i do stairs i'm passing gas with every step...

Don't you just love this disease! :P

loraleena Contributor

My cramps are worse gluten free. I wonder why?

Electra375 Newbie

Maybe your thyroid has decided to give out on you???

Or your pitutitary glands???

I haven't noticed any of those kinds of changes, but I'm 6 mo PP. Have had very HEAVY bleeding (as in can't leave the house with a super plus tampon and pad on).

I have hypothyroidism, but when I say that I have to clarify the endo turned me away, my GYN gave me a script for Synthroid just 3 weeks ago. My TSH levels are normal, my T4 is a hair line within range on the low end.

Celiac is easy compared to thryoid and endocrine system problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

L.A. Contributor
Maybe your thyroid has decided to give out on you???

Or your pitutitary glands???

I haven't noticed any of those kinds of changes, but I'm 6 mo PP. Have had very HEAVY bleeding (as in can't leave the house with a super plus tampon and pad on).

I have hypothyroidism, but when I say that I have to clarify the endo turned me away, my GYN gave me a script for Synthroid just 3 weeks ago. My TSH levels are normal, my T4 is a hair line within range on the low end.

Celiac is easy compared to thryoid and endocrine system problems.

Just had my thyroid checked and it was good. Never thought about the pituitary gland though--hmmm. Could be totally unrelated to my celiac disease and just a blip on the period radar map--who knows. But found it funny that the cramps seem to mess up my tummy.

covsooze Enthusiast

Hormones do funny things to the tummy! When I was pregnant, my whole digestive system was a wreck (not just sickness, but increased IBS type symptoms etc). Don't know what to suggest really, but you have my sympathy :)

Susie x

L.A. Contributor

Thanks for your input "girlfriends" :D

bloatedntexas Rookie

i have always had horrible cramps, but i had it long before i went gluten free. i actually thought they were getting a little better once i started the diet. who knows? now i am confused. i thought bad cramps might have been linked to celiac disease in general. hmmmm...

sfm Apprentice

I had something similar happen to me after the birth of my son. It wasn't related to being gluten free, but the symptoms sound exactly the same. It lasted over a year, then gradually calmed down. I was having irregular periods - sometimes as close as 2 weeks apart - which lasted close to two weeks sometimes. Very painful cramping, very heavy bleeding, and digestive symptoms (gas and diarrhea). I was told by my doc that hormonal changes can be brought on by age as well as having children. Now I have a fairly normal monthly cycle again, but it was really freaky.

I'm just wondering if it's coincidental that it has started gluten free for you - or if maybe you notice the symptoms more because you aren't as uncomfortable in other ways as when you were eating gluten?

Sheryll

KAG Rookie

I get more digestive upset problems and more problems with gas when I am on my period. I did get more cramps when I started with a gluten free diet but after being gluten free for more than 5 years, the cramps diminished. I kinda think that your body needs a lot of time to heal after being bombarded with poison all those years.

oceangirl Collaborator

You seem young it's probably not an aging/life-change thing. But, you now have me wondering... I am a year gluten-free and my periods are wretched. Terrible cramps (I could describe some as early laborish), much PMS build-up, and extremely irregular. HOWEVER! I do know I am nearing menopause (I'm 49) Curious, though. Never had PMS before. Also, a glutening during the week before or of my period is catastrophic!

lisa

little d Enthusiast

When I finally understood why I was getting D most of the time one of my nurses that I work with if I get D when Im on my period I said sometimes and she tried to tell me that the D was connected to my periods not to worry I told her no it may be connected but I get D all the time before during and after I get my periods. and on the same note I was alway regular, I had my daughter and was messed up on when I would start on time I thought that i was pregnat because I was 22 days late felt nauseas, not any interest in eating or it I did want to eat wanted to eat everything in sight which of cource made everything worse. I even went to my OBGYN and got my thyroid tested and that was fine, took two pregancy test at home and at the pregnacy clinic and negative I had finnally got my period after some sweeting some. now gluten free for a month now we will see if I get straightened out some and continue with my normal 28-30 days. I think that my Bleeding has been the same 2-3 days. Maybe a little on the light side sometime heavy nothing to complain about. I told the nurse that I work with about gluten intolerance and said that I don't think that my periods had anything to do with my D. If I have gluten while on my period then the D is pretty bad.

donna

darkangel Rookie

Increased gut troubles around that time of the month are common. An explanation from Oprah's Web site:

Dr. Masterson has a single word of reasoning: hormones. "All women react differently to hormones," she says. "People don't realize that the hormones in our body control our temperature, women's temperature, around the time they ovulate. It's responsible for the acne around periods that people hate. Breast tenderness. It's responsible for so many things and our metabolism, slowing down the gastrointestinal tract, the stomach, that's why a lot of pregnant women will become constipated or have diarrhea because of those high hormone levels during pregnancy.

Again it's the same thing with the menstrual cycle. The ebb and the flow of hormones can cause constipation and diarrhea.

L.A. Contributor
You seem young it's probably not an aging/life-change thing. But, you now have me wondering... I am a year gluten-free and my periods are wretched. Terrible cramps (I could describe some as early laborish), much PMS build-up, and extremely irregular. HOWEVER! I do know I am nearing menopause (I'm 49) Curious, though. Never had PMS before. Also, a glutening during the week before or of my period is catastrophic!

lisa

My hubby says I act like I'm 20 but I'm really 47...so maybe it is the dreading "M" word :lol:

darkangel Rookie

Anywhere from late 30s on up you're fair game for perimenopausal symptoms. Many women go through a period of wildly fluctuating hormonal levels before they hit menopause. I experienced a worsening of PMS symptoms - up to two weeks before my period, worse cramping during my period that lasted longer than it used to, night sweats, insomnia and a sex drive suddenly through the roof. I tried OTC progesterone creams, but ultimately ended up seeing my OB/Gyn who put me on low dose BC pills to stabilize my hormone levels.

oceangirl Collaborator

Just wanted to add, referring to the sub-title of this thread- Guys, if "you don't want to go here", maybe you'd better not go "there". Sorry, but, if we're having relationships, we'd better be able to handle all involved...

lisa

submarinerwife Newbie

I have always had horrible horrible periods, so you have my sympathy and best wishes. However before going gluten-free I started going through an early M. I was only 28 at the time. Since being gluten-free I have started regulating again. Lots of changes to adjust to as the whole body heals. My mother however who NEVER had any PMS EVER (lucky woman!) started having severe cramps when she started going through M. Now that she is almost through with it all it is getting better, you may want to have your hormone levels checked for the begininning of the dreaded life change. Hope it is helpful and I am sorry to hear you are having to go through it. No fun at all.

Archived