Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melrobsings

Like Mother Like....daughter?

This is a bit lame but I HAD to share this. My cat has really bad allergies and her poo smells so bad she will blow you out of the house! i recently took her to a new vet. The vet asked what i was feeding her, i said Iams cause i hear it's the best.

She did a few swab tests.....tested them and came back and said "you cat is allergic to GRAINS, it's very common" "at first I thought this was a joke and how did she find out I was a Celiac?! She said Sass (my cat) has all the symptoms, smelly poo, runny eyes and nose and slugish! WHO KNEW!?

So I put her on this food that is pricey, about $1.07 a can, and it's grain free and she's like a new cat! I don't have to use 1/2 a can of oust to get rid of the smell, she is more regular and her runny nose and eyes are GONE! Not to mention she is move active and not as crotchity!

Thus, my daughter has the feline version of Celiac! My bf thinks I'm crazy and my mom says "well that is why she is your cat and came to you cause you would understand!"

We are both happy and well on our "grain free" diet! :)

That is ironic!

I always thought it was weird that my MIL and FIL both have to take thyroid medication, and now their dog does too.

Perhaps there is more to the nature/nurture debate after all?

Awwww!! Your Mom is right, she knew you would understand and help her.

Lots of pets have an intollerance to grains. I have heard quite a few folks on here say that their pet has "celiac".

Good luck with your fur baby. I'm glad she is feeling better.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

We have something similar with our dog. As my dd became sicker over the last year (before figuring out that gluten was the culprit), so did our dog. It turns out that the dog also has an autoimmune disorder - possibly canine lupus. I switched her to a gluten free dog food and she's doing much better, to the point that she hasn't even needed steroids. When she (dog) was diagnosed, dd had just been diagnosed, and I told the vet about it. She said that she's seen pets mirror their people's illnesses many times. Glad your kitty is better!

Rho

I have a couple grain intolerant pets as well. I switched to the Evo Innova brand of grain free raw food because of CC issues and was amazed that I was no longer cleaning up kitty puke a number of times a week. This kitty also had some hair loss due to allergies and just like me his hair grew back and he is down to 20 lbs. Amazing for him, at his heaviest he was 26. Loads of fun for arthritic me to try and carry around.

I don't think this is unusual, just like celiac, unnoticed. Grain in pet food is mainly there as a filler to bulk up the 'waste meat and scraps' that go into most pet food. It is not in there to make them happy. How many times have you caught your kitty in the garden eating corn and how many farmers need guard dogs to protect the wheat from maurauding cats. :D

Could you tell me what type of cat food you use? One of my cats has the same problem. When he uses the litter box in the basement I can smell it upstairs!

OMG I totally forgot!! She hasn't puked either!!!! Hasn't even wheezed...but she still snores loudly! lol

I use Wellness cat food, she hates the beef one though.

Wow we should start a new group celiacs and pets! lol