Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lailabean

Has Anyone Tried The Fecal Challenge Test Out Of Texas?

My four year old daughter tested negative on the blood tests, but since my husband had flattened villi (also neg on the blood test). We put her on a gluten free diet too. I didn't want to sample her intestine yet, especially since I think that she might be too young for it to even show.

I don't want her to be on a gluten free diet if she isn't really a gluten intolerant kid, so I am looking for alternative ways to diagnose. My husband had read something about stool samples, called the fecal challenge. Does anyone know about this test?

Also did anyone else's child have this symptom: Your child would lay down in the fetal position and cross their legs?

Thanks!

Enterolab.com is where you want to go, they are based in Dallas, Texas - post about them are all over the board.

IMO you should not feed your daughter gluten, unless you want her to end up like her dad with flattened villi or worse, at an earlier age.

I don't want her to be on a gluten free diet if she isn't really a gluten intolerant kid, so I am looking for alternative ways to diagnose. My husband had read something about stool samples, called the fecal challenge. Does anyone know about this test?

A fair number of people here have used Enterolab to test for gluten sensitivity. I had them run the fecal and gene tests on my dd, because she was already gluten free and I didn't want to put her back on gluten to pursue blood/biopsy results. I'm very content with their findings - they showed that she's gluten and casein intolerant, which has been confirmed by her dietary response. It's not a formal Celiac diagnosis, though - only a positive biopsy is accepted by most of the medical establishment as proof of Celiac. It doesn't sound like you want to do the biopsy now anyway, so Enterolab might serve your purposes well. The test is easy to order, easy to collect and easy to return to Enterolab. If you go to their website (Enterolab.com) you can read more about it.

Rho