Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happyfeet

New Here

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm still in the process of getting my 5 year old son, diagnosed with Celiac. Today at the GI dr. said the labs were inconclusive. I guess 1 out of 5 people have a protien in their blood that if it is on the low side can effect the outcome of this test. However, the 3rd part of it came out showing high numbers. The dr. had us do a repeat lab today and if the numbers are still high, he is going to do and Endoscope and find out for sure. I hate the waiting. :blink:

It would make sense if he did have it. He has loose stools all the time and has not gained any weight over a year. So while I'm waiting for the results, I thought I would find some others who are going thru this and get some info that might help me out in the long run.

Definitely sounds like it could be Celiac. You may also see other symptoms that you didn't even link to Celiac disappear after he goes gluten free. I couldn't believe how "sick" I actually had been once symptoms began to disappear on the diet.

Even if the bloodwork comes back normal or biopsies come back normal, you may want to give the gluten free diet a shot, especially since he's symptomatic. Many people are gluten intolerant rather than Celiac. This means that their bloodwork comes back normal and their biopsies come back normal, but they're still reacting to gluten negatively. Hopefully you'll be able to get this thing sorted out soon.

If he does end up having Celiac or being gluten intolerant, don't panic. It really isn't as bad as it seems like it will be. There are replacement foods for virtually everything your son would miss. There are even amazing Oreo-type cookies and macaroni and donuts! Stick around here and there will be tons of support as you go through the transition. We've all been through the beginning stages at one time or another. :) Welcome to the board!