Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Hope Someone Can Help Me Figure This Out

I didnt know were else to type this at. So I was hoping somoene can help me figure this out.

Two week ago i took my 3 yr old to get her shots, i have been putting it off cause i was unsure if i wanted to get her immunized. Well for 3 days she has been cranky and sick. Well yesterday she got an rash so we took her to an dr. Well the dr was like well maybe it is an reaction to the mmr or maybe its strep im not sure. She only had a few bumps. Well today she has a whole bunch more. So this morning i have been researching and have found different thingsit could be, one thing it could be is west nile virus so im sitting here freaking out. But it could be the things the dr said, but he said if they bumps felt like sand paper then it was strep. I dont think they are sandpapery. Im just lost why there are so mnay more today. Yesterday he did say her throat looked red and her lymph nodes were a little swollen.

So i was just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with an reaction to the shots before or west nile virus or the rash that goes with strep.

paula

Well the drs office is open today, so im waiting for the dr to call me back. I am so freakin out that it is west nile.

paula

My guess is it's a reaction to the shots. Is there any reason for her to get West Nile all of a sudden?

Here's a website I used to read a lot when my kids were younger ... maybe it will have some answers for you. www.909shot.com.

My guess is it's a reaction to the shots. Is there any reason for her to get West Nile all of a sudden?

Here's a website I used to read a lot when my kids were younger ... maybe it will have some answers for you. www.909shot.com.

Well we live in an area that is very high for west nile, they find mosquitos all the time that carry it. And she has gotten a few bug bites all threw the summer, the bugs love her like they do me. We even spray all of us.

The dr said tho that she wouldnt get more bumps if it was an reaction to the mmr, and today she is covered on her back and stomach, and those are the only areas that have the rash when you have west nile.

Thanks for that website i will look at it now.

paula

Paula, go with your instincts. If I waited for a doctor to diagnose me, I'd be sicker than I am and be declining instead of healing.

As it was, I figured out what I had, got tested for it, and I was right. Now that I'm being treated, I'm healing.

exactly carla, My husband is going to come home at 9 and take her. It says they have to do an blood test and it takes a day to come in, but being the weekend who knows how long it will take.

All i can say is the dr better not say or dont worry and take her home. Cause it wont be a pretty picture at all.

paula

Well its not west nile cause they have now all over her especially her little face. We are taking her to the dr at 2. Im pretty sure it is the chicken pox now, and im beginning to itch all over. ughhhh

paula

How many shots did she get, and what were they?

My middle child reacted to shots like this when he was 4 months old. It took nearly a year to go away, it didn't respond in the least to any med or cortisone cream we put on it, and he had 3 shots, so we weren't sure which he was reacting to.

Strep can be diagnosed by a culture--it certainly wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

Chicken pox might actually be good--then she won't need the vaccine!

This is one of the many reasons I think it is much wiser to do only 1 shot at a time.

You might want to check out www.nvic.org (the national vaccine information center) for info that your doctor won't give you and probably doesn't even know about.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :(

How many shots did she get, and what were they?

My middle child reacted to shots like this when he was 4 months old. It took nearly a year to go away, it didn't respond in the least to any med or cortisone cream we put on it, and he had 3 shots, so we weren't sure which he was reacting to.

Strep can be diagnosed by a culture--it certainly wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

Chicken pox might actually be good--then she won't need the vaccine!

This is one of the many reasons I think it is much wiser to do only 1 shot at a time.

You might want to check out www.nvic.org (the national vaccine information center) for info that your doctor won't give you and probably doesn't even know about.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :(

She got the hb, dtap/dt, ipv, mmr and varicella

It was the first time she got shots cause i was debating on even doing them. Now I am so mad at getting her the shots but she cant go to school without them.

From the research i have done it says if u get the chicken pox from the shot you will only get a few, but she has a loads of them, expecially on her face.

Yesterday she slept from 4 pm til 7 this morning, but now she is running around but of course she has motrin in her.

Thanks for that website i will go look on there.

paula

I had chicken pox at 17 so I remember them vividly. The bumps looked like they had a bubble on them. Very ichy, started with just a few and then it spread all over, even on my gums. From what I understand, the rash wouldn't be worsening if it were due to the shots. Let us know what it is.

Now I am so mad at getting her the shots but she cant go to school without them.

Almost every state has exemptions. We lived in one state that had religious exemptions and another that had philosophical exemptions. For religious, it has to do with your own personal beliefs (that you don't "believe" in doing something that may harm your child), not what your church teaches. They may ask for a note from your pastor, but that's not something they can legally demand of you ... just tell them that, they'll most likely back off ... but be nice about it.

So, you probably don't need them for your school. The website I gave you probably has some information on this for your state.

It's better for your kids to have chicken pox rather than the vaccine ... they don't know how long the immunity from the vaccine lasts ... and I believe most children do better with the chicken pox than adults.

Well its not west nile and its not the chicken pox. It is strep with scarltina(scarlet fever) but not as bad as full scarlet fever. So she will be starting antibotics soon. Would it be smart to give her yogurt for an probotic since she is on antibotics. I know she is only 3 and not an diagnosed celiac, but would like to keep her healthy.

paula

Well its not west nile and its not the chicken pox. It is strep with scarltina(scarlet fever) but not as bad as full scarlet fever. So she will be starting antibotics soon. Would it be smart to give her yogurt for an probotic since she is on antibotics. I know she is only 3 and not an diagnosed celiac, but would like to keep her healthy.

paula

I am so glad you found out what it is. Yes do give her some yogurt. Make sure it is gluten-free, Yoplait labels the ones they have that are and most are, wegmans does also if you have one close. We use the yogurt from the day before, if possible, to a couple of days after we stop antibiotics and have almost always avoided the 'antibiotic runs'. I hope she is feeling better soon.