Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest thatchickali

So Depressed I Just Feel Sick All Over

Guest thatchickali

I have been having such a hard time going gluten-free. Getting no support, no one will listen. They keep eating in front of me. My boyfriend even used my toothbrush to brush his teeth after eating gluten containing food, so he could kiss me. Great you can kiss me but now I need a new toothbrush.....

I have been so low on energy and I feel like I'm just falling into a black hole of depression. No energy. I even took my temp because I felt achy and bad all over. I think that's just because I'm so sad.

Did this happen to anyone? How long does it take to go away.

I cried all morning at church because I couldn't take communion.

I felt very sad too but you get used to this new lifestyle. I liked talking to a therapist because I couldn't handle the new life change and that helped a lot. Some non-Catholic churches will let you take the gluten-free communion waffers. It does get better, I promise.

I just wanted to say that I have been having somewhat similar feelings since I know it helped me to know that I wasn't the only feeling that way.

My doctor suggested I talk to a psychologist and at first I resisted but have been reconsidering and will be seeing one shortly. It might be something to consider. Talking to a professional might help sort out your feelings and frustrations as I am hoping it will do for me. If you have a supportive doctor that you trust, he/she may be able to point you in the direction of psychologist who they think you will work well with. Just a suggestion; I know it's not an easy thing to do.

I can totally understand what you're going through! I agree with the idea of talking to a therapist. I do and it has been a lifesaver. Just make sure you have someone who knows that Celiac isn't all in your head. I had one and she thought all these symptoms were "stress related." I now have a new one who actually specializes with people who have health problems. It has truly been a lifesaver.

Kassandra

Also, everyone goes through a grieving process, so that may be what this is. Good Luck!

Guest thatchickali

Thank you for your replies. I was seeing a therapist, and she had told me while I was awaiting my results that she had celiac disease, so I was very hopeful about the whole thing, even if I got the bad results (which I did). When I went back the day after I found out she said "Now what is gluten in?". Needless to say, I didn't return to her. I still have 10 days til I move so I can't start with a new therapist here and I have an appointment set up on the 17th of August, but I don't know what to do til then. I feel like death, I can't even lift my own head up. My energy and motivation is just at ground zero and I don't know how to pick myself up.

Are you sure there's not something else going on? Your extreme fatigue and achiness could be attributed to some unrelated bug or virus. I just found out thru blood tests that I have mono (again). I had it in college and my doc says the virus stays in your system and can "reactivate" periodically. It's my hunch when you're feeling stressed and your body is at a low ebb due to problems with celiac, you're more susceptible to other problems. Just a possibility. Regardless, try to be good to yourself. Get plenty of rest, plenty of fluids, treat yourself to something you enjoy and don't feel guilty about it. This is a time of adjustment for you... and it's going to take a while to come to terms with your diagnosis.

keep your head up. I had symptoms of depression in the months before diagnosis and the first few weeks of gluten free diet. I could sleep 10-14 hours a day, no problem. I was short tempered and just plain down. My emotional state along with my energy level and digestion issues all started getting better about the same time. Be ready for occasional relapses though, it seems like just about everyone gets some gluten in their system at some point and I know I'm way more sensitive now than I was, so even small amounts give me 'indigestion' & fatigue, etc......

stick to the diet, don't eat ANY gluten, you'll feel better

lots of people just aren't very understanding and can be dismissive of the whole thing just ignore them and trust what your own body is telling you

cried all morning at church because I couldn't take communion.
Ask your priest to give you special blessing when You go up for communion. ( you can talk to your priest after or before the next service and tell him that you have a allergy to the wheat.. he should understand. Let him also know That you would like to go up for communion. but would like to receive the spiritual communion which is just as good.. AS FOR YOU BOYFRIEND!! Tell Him to Stop Sharing your toothbrush! Buy him one... give him one, but don't share you can spread gingivitis that way.. as far as kissing.. well just use good oral hygiene... Don't give up.. once you stay on your gluten free diet for a few months you'll feel better.. Some times our world changes and we don't like it. sometimes I think I would kill for a super subway sandwich with all the fixing's.. but I look at it as poison to my system. keep up the fight you'll win. god bless :)