Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green12

gluten-free In Guadalajara Mexico

I just got back from two months in Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico which is about a four hour bus ride from Guadalajara. I ate a lot of corn tortillas, chicken, beans, fruits, veggies, consomme (veggie soup), enchiladas, rice, tamales, rajas,strawberries with cream and sugar, meats, gorditas, eggs, yogurt, and ice cream from La Michoacana which has locally made ice creams. I only had problems with getting glutened once and it was at my favorite restaurant. They made quesadillas estilo de DF because they make the quesadillas differently in Mexico City. I was watching the girl make the fresh tortillas and because the masa or corn meal mixture for the tortillas was too firm, she poured a bunch of wheat flour into it and mixed it together. I was really sad. I also had to avoid the mole because in some restaurants they added bread to it in order to thicken it up.

My advice would be to use corn products whenever available like tortillas and chips and to enjoy the variety of fresh veggies and fruits and cheeses. Things like chilaquiles (tortilla chips or hardened corn tortillas with salsa, cheese and sometimes an egg), fruit, consomme (nothing with fideos or noodles), jello (I'm not sure why they love jello so much),ceviche, tacos, and things like that should be safe. You should also try some pozole (hominy soup) if you get the chance. It's my favorite (they usually have green with chicken or red with pork).

I don't really know what other advice to give. If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Ezme

Thank you very much Ezme, this is very helpful! I really appreciate all the information, your suggestions and advice, and especially what to look out for.

I hope you enjoyed your travels to this part of Mexico!