Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am having my child tested (blood test) and was wondering if she needs to fast. Of course, the dr. doesn't know and the lab techs are clueless.

I don't believe so--I recently had bloodwork to check levels after 2 years, and fasting was not necessary.

I never had the bloodwork originally, but I'm sure it would be the same--no matter when the blood is drawn.

I don't believe that fasting is necessary. I checked on the websites for Prometheus, LabCorp, and Quest, and none of them listed it as a requirement.

Make sure your doctor runs the full panel: 5 tests!

Best of luck!

You do not have to fast for test checking antibodies.

Fasting 2 hours or more is only necessary for certain tests - such as glucose, thyroid, cholesterol etc. This is because of the type of test performed. If you have eaten just prior to bloodwork - the plasma /serum is slightly cloudy from the fats in the blood related to normal digestion. The cloudy appearance interferes with some results.

It does not interfere with genetic testing, antibody levels, a CBC , ESR, blood cultures, mono test.

Sandy

the lab techs are clueless.

:o :o :o There are quite a few of us lab techs on the forum! Most of us are not "clueless"! :o :o :o