Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am very new to this diet, and I am still having a lot of stomach problems. I suspect there is something in my diet that has gluten in it that I am unaware of. So I was thinking maybe it's the tea...I drink a cup of black tea with soy milk every morning. I have read that some teas have barley in them, but how can you tell which ones? I don't see anything on any of the boxes to indicate this. Any help?

Also, I had some mustard the other day and had some issues...Is that a product to stay away from?

Thanks

~Jenna

Your tea is safe if it's not flavored - gluten can be in the flavorings. (Mint teas are usually safe because the flavor comes from the mint leaves themselves so there's usually no flavoring added.)

Many celiacs have problems digesting lactose and need to be dairy-free as well as gluten-free for a while until the villi have a chance to regenerate the area that produces the enzyme for digesting milk products. It can take as long as 6 months for this healing to occure, or even longer.

I had stomach problems several months into the gluten-free diet even though I was already dairy free. Turned out the culprit was corn. After eliminating this allergen from my diet, my stomach issues cleared up.

Mustard should be safe as long as it has no gluten-contaning ingredients in it (ie. barley malt). It might just be that your stomach is too sensitive right now to handle harsh and spicy foods.

Possibly, the soy milk is bothering you. If you think it might be, you could try switching to almond or rice milk and see if that makes a difference.

I drink Stash Tea--no gluten used in their facility. :)