This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rast Allergy Testing ..anyone Done It? How Accurate Is It?

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi

I'm sure that there are alot of past threads on this topic but since RAST is four letters i'm having trouble.

Patti gave me some good info today. Thanks Patti. Anyone else care to jump it.

Just gathering info here...thanks in advance

Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

RAST testing tests for a variety of allergies, food, animals, enviroment. Depending on what your doctor was looking for will depend on what all they test for. It is a very common test for children, it tests egg yolks and whites, milk, all the nuts, molds, ragweed. You name it, it is probably on the lab order form. I know that when they did the allergy panel in our hospital the RAST testing was located on the back of the lab form, we would get up to 20 boxes checked on some children and two 5ml red tubes would be sufficent.

It is actually very accurate. Hope this helps, if you need anything else just yell. I used to be a lab tech.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH MANDA ,,,LOVE YOU ALL OVER AGAIN.

THANKS SO MUCH

I'LL PUT A C/PASTE FROM MY D/S POST..SHE IS TESTING ME FOR OTHER STUFF I DON'T GET EITHER. JUST SO ...#%^^$$% TIRED OF SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS.

SHE'S AS BEFUDDLED AS i AM AT THIS POINT.

WILL PROBABLY BE SEEING AN ALLERGIST AT SOME POINT BUT...UNTIL THEN,,JUST GLAD THIS IS ACCURATE.

SHE JUST GAVE ME THIS LONG SHEET AND TOLD ME TO CIRCLE WHAT I WANT TO TESTED FOR.

SHE SAID SHE KNOWS HOW COMPLAINT I'VE BEEN FOR OVER 2 YEARS GOING gluten-free..AND THE REST OF IT. I KNOW THERE CAN BE OTHER ISSUES.. (LYME, METALS ETC) BUT I'M GOING TO JUST FOCUS ON THIS FOR NOW. ALL MY LYME TESTS ARE NEG..WHICH I KNOW CAN BE THE CASE UNLESS YOU USE IGENEX LABS AND MY INTERNIST WON'T SIGN OFF ON IT..

I'M OK FOR THIS NOW...AND WILL CONCENTRATE ON THIS ...

HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE I'M GOING TO POST LATER TOO.

I KNOW I HAVE MOLD ISSUES BUT DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF THEM AND THERE WERE LIKE 15. MINE IS THE BLACK MOLD FROM WATER LEAKAGE IN OUR BATH AND KITCHEN.

THANKS SO MUCH.

HAVE MISSED CHATTING WITH YOU

JUDY

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Do any of you know what these these tests are for?..I'll put in red.

Since you worked in a lab Manda, thought maybe you'd know.

UP-DATE FROM GOOD GI VISIT. SHE REACHED FOR MY HAND AT THE END AND TEARS IN EYE'S SAID, "OH JUDY, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO HELP YOU..!" SHE AT LEAST CARES..AND LISTENS.

I WENT AND GAVE 7 VILES OF BOOD FOR THE RAST BLOOD TEST FOR ALERGIES. THEN MORE VILES TO TEST 'TTG AB IGA AND GLIADIN PEPTIDE ABS, IGA/IGG NOT EVEN LOOKING IT UP.THINK IT'S TO TEST FOR MY IMMUMITY RESPONCES..

SHE GAVE ME THE NAME OF ONE DR IN THE PRACTICE WHO IS UP ON ALLERGIES AND INFECTIONS ETC SO SHE THINKS HE CAN HELP ME. SHE WILL CALL ME PERSONALLY WITH THESE TEST RESULTS EVEN IF SHE'S LEFT THE PRACTICE. SHE HAS TO CK WITH THE MAL PRACTICE INSURANCE TO SEE WHAT SHE CAN DO WHEN ON LEAVE.

(OK THIS GOOD NEW DR. DOESN'T HAVE A OPENING UNTIL JAN 2ND 2008)...

SO THAT'S IT ...MY UP DATE...COMPASSIONATE VISIT WITH NO NEW ANSWERS.

THANKS FOR READING. JUDY

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter and I both had the RAST test done. Seems to be accurate. We stopped eating the foods indicated as allergens and our chronic ear and sinus infections went away.

IgA Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody Assays

human TTG has been identified as

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS GUYS

MANDA..KINDA :blink::ph34r: DYSLEXIA DOESN'T HELP WITH READING THIS STUFF EITHER

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

To sum it up, the tests are mainly looking at how well you are sticking to the diet.

jerseyangel Proficient
IgA and IgG Gliadin Antibody Assays

They mainly have utility for monitoring compliance with gluten-free diets in patients.

These are what I had tested last month, just to check my levels after 2 years on the diet. They were normal, as expected.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
To sum it up, the tests are mainly looking at how well you are sticking to the diet.

OH THANKS..

SO THESE IN RED...ARE TO FIND OUT HOW I'M DOING ON DIET

AND THE RAST IS TO SEE WHAT I'M ALLERGIC TO....RIGHT ;)

IF THAT'S RIGHT..I GET IT

SEE I THOUGHT IT WAS TESTING TO SEE IF MY IMMUNE SYSTEM WAS WORKING OR NOT..WHAT A DUNCE. :ph34r:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
These are what I had tested last month, just to check my levels after 2 years on the diet. They were normal, as expected.

THANKS PATTI.

I KNOW WE TALKED ABOUT IT...FORGOT THESE WERE THE TESTS HE ORDERED.

YES AND HE SAID ...CONTINUE ON THE gluten-free DIET..

THANKS FOR REMINDING ME.

THANKS FOR JOGGING MY MEMORY TOO

DID YOU HEAR FROM ANY REALATORS TODAY?

JUDY

Judy you are not a dunce! Tests are never explained to patients, I picked it up from working in a lab. Actually those tests I helped you with are sent to AML labs in Virginia. I would help prepare them. I will be glad to help you with any questions you ever have. Have a great day!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks so very much Manda!

your so thoughtful.

trust me, I'll be asking when they come in!

Judy

Any time sweetie! Did they give you an idea when the labs would be back.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hi Judy :)

I had the RAST done about 3 years ago. A bunch of different foods and inhalents were tested. Everything came back normal for me except a hint of sensitivity to dog dander.

The RAST is checking for IgE immune responses.....in other words...."true allergies".

I dont have any true allergies. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hi Judy :)

I had the RAST done about 3 years ago. A bunch of different foods and inhalents were tested. Everything came back normal for me except a hint of sensitivity to dog dander.

The RAST is checking for IgE immune responses.....in other words...."true allergies".

I dont have any true allergies. :)

AH RACHEL, HOW SWEET OF YOU TO ANSWER

GUESS I COULD HAVE CK'D YOUR PROFILE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PAGE IF IT'S STILL THERE.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS THINKING I'D READ ABOUT YOU HONEY

YOU KNOW ME...I'M TRYING TO STAY IN THE 'SAFE BOX' CAUSE I'M SO SCARED TO ' GO OUTSIDE THE BOX' BUT WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO IT ANYWAY.

I'M KEEPING TABS ON YOU DAILY...SO GLAD YOUR DOING WELL ....AT LEAST THE LAST POST I READ TODAY YOU WERE. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO OMG YET TONIGHT.

I'M THINKING THAT THIS WILL NOT SHOW ANYTHING...BUT THE GI WANTED TO DO IT.

I DID POST ON THE VISIT I HAD WITH HER YESTERDAY ON EITHER THE 'RAST' OR THE OTHER THREAD I POSTED. CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT NOW.

WILL LOOK IT UP AND POST ON OMG.. MAYBE SOMEONE THERE HAS HEARD OF IT.

ROBBIN FOUND IT FOR ME.

GOOD LUCK...I DON'T POST ALOT BUT CK ON MY OLD FRIENDS.

THANKS AGAIN.

JUDY

Judy I miss you when you don't post, you are always so helpful.

Archived