Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know if the eel(unagi) at sushi places is gluten free. I love it and have not been eating it since I do not know if it is gluten free. It has kind of like a glaze on it and I do not know if it has soy sauce in it.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if the eel(unagi) at sushi places is gluten free. I love it and have not been eating it since I do not know if it is gluten free. It has kind of like a glaze on it and I do not know if it has soy sauce in it.

Thanks!

If my memory is correct from posts long ago, I believe that ell is NOT gluten free or at least in the preparation of it.

Perhaps a search here for sushi could deliver an answer.

Unagi is glazed with a teriaki-like sauce that contains soy sauce, so unless they use a wheat-free soy sauce (which is highly unlikely!), it is NOT gluten free.

Please stay away from eel. My boyfriend is from Japan and says that almost always restaurants get the eel frozen and premarinated in a sauce that has gluten. He said occasionally in Japan you may find fresh unmarinated eel at a restaurant but not here in the U.S. Not worth the risk!