Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spatchie

Which Lab Should I Use?

I would like to have a stool test done for gluten sensitivity/celiac, yeast, bacteria overgrowth.

There are quite a few different opinions here about enterolab (which my dietician recommended). I also think they do not do bacteria testing. Does anyone recommend a reliable lab who can test for all three? Or at least a reliable lab for gluten testing. I cannot afford to spend money on something that is not reliable.

I did have a blood test which came back negative.

Just searching for more options.

Thanks so much,

Angela

Angela, I believe the debate about Enterolab is not about their reliability, rather whether stool testing itself is a reliable test of gluten intolerance. If your blood test came back negative, I would recommend seeing what your dietary response is.

I had to go through my doctor for the stool testing for bacteria. Mine came out positive, btw, and I'm treating it with Oregano Oil and Uva Ursi with great success. Also, massive probiotics.

Bacteria overgrowth was done in a hospital They fed her some glucose, then took breath test every 15 minutes for about 3 hours. It's not just a simple blood test.

Bacteria overgrowth was done in a hospital They fed her some glucose, then took breath test every 15 minutes for about 3 hours. It's not just a simple blood test.

Mine was a three day random stool collection done and home and overnighted to the lab.

Angela, I believe the debate about Enterolab is not about their reliability, rather whether stool testing itself is a reliable test of gluten intolerance. If your blood test came back negative, I would recommend seeing what your dietary response is.

I had to go through my doctor for the stool testing for bacteria. Mine came out positive, btw, and I'm treating it with Oregano Oil and Uva Ursi with great success. Also, massive probiotics.

Thanks Carla. Did you go through your gyn Dr or a GI Dr.? I'm sure either one can do it. But I do have my yearly with my gyno coming up and can possibly ask for that then.

Thanks.

Actually, my Lyme doctor did the test. You can always ask the gyn to do it, you never know ... and it would save you another trip to the GI. However, my Lyme doctor had the test kit to give me, I don't know that your gyn would be able to do that.

Here's a website with a lot of information on bacterial dysbiosis. http://www.ei-resource.org/anti-bacterial.asp

My Dr. uses Diagnos-techs. It tested for gluten, dairy, soy, egg, a few bacteria and yeast. I don't know anything about how it compares to others, but you can look at their site and see what all they test for.