Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustJust

What Type Of Blood Work Do I Need Done For Genetic Testing?

Hi ,

As a newby here...... i noticed that most people had the type of celiac that they had in the signature section of their posts and was just wondering what that was all about? What type of genetic testing do I need to know what type of celiac I have? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I had the biopsy done and an antibody test done but that was all. Thanks Justine

Hi ,

As a newby here...... i noticed that most people had the type of celiac that they had in the signature section of their posts and was just wondering what that was all about? What type of genetic testing do I need to know what type of celiac I have? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I had the biopsy done and an antibody test done but that was all. Thanks Justine

Justine,

There is no type of Celiac. You either have it or you do not. Some people here have opted to have testing through Enterolabs, which would show a sensitivity to gluten, but it does not diagnose Celiac. Some have been satisfied that the sensitivity is cause for a gluten free diet, and have had success with the diet.

The avenues for testing for Celiac are blood tests, an endoscopy exam and biopsy or a positive dietary response.

You can have genetic testing done through Enterolab. It's not a blood test; it's a cheek swab, painless and easy to do. I believe that there's another lab that also does gene testing; that test can be ordered through your MD. Enterolab testing is ordered directly online, and is not handled through a Dr's office.

The gene test won't tell you anything specific about your disease. You already have a diagnosis. It's a point of interest, though. Popular wisdom held that only certain genes could predispose for celiac disease, but I've seen postings from several biopsy & serology diagnosed celiacs on this board who do not have those genes. I think the whole "gene picture" is going to change in the future.

Rho

As far as the genetic part my lab report listed the test as:

"Celiac Disease HLA DQ Assoc."

Under that section were the results of the tests for the two specific Celiac genes DQ2 and DQ8.

(I was positive for DQ2 and negative for DQ8)

The lab I used was LabCorp.

Tom

Prometheus also does the genetic testing for Celiac (HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 account for about 95%+ of Celiacs)

Often, the gene tests are run to determine if Celiac may be a possibility, in the absence of a firm diagnosis.