This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chick-fil-a In Malls

mrsry

mrsry Rookie

DH and I are relatively new to gluten-free, I am feeling a whole lot better. We ate the grilled chicken and waffle fries (took off the bun) at Chick-Fil-A yesterday, and he said the fries made him feel ill. I know I had a mild allergic reaction to the peanut oil in the fries; I always do when places cook their fries in peanut oil. I hate it when they do that!

I've been hearing that most CFA's use dedicated fryers for their fries, but do you think that maybe a cramped, busy mall location might be less likely to use one? They're so busy and cranky that I can't even bring myself to ask them. I'm trying to figure out a good rule of thumb. Not that I'll be risking it too often with the allergies, but I know DH would love some fries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest lorlyn

My daughter eats the waffel fries without any problems. You said you took the bun off the grilled chicken that was most likely the problem. You have to order it without the bun ever touching it. It is always a challenge to eat out and not get sick.

zarfkitty Explorer

I agree with lorlyn. The problem was probably the bun.

I have eaten at my mall's Chick-Fil-A without a problem. I get the grilled chicken salad, no cheese (we're also dairy free) and a side of fries. They have to make my salad fresh because they're pre-packed with cheese. As soon as I say "allergy" they change gloves and are very careful.

The Chick-Fil-A near my workplace has also been extremely accommodating (although it's not in a mall).

If you'd like to try again, order the sandwich without the bun ever touching it and request a fresh pair of gloves on the kitchen employee that prepares your food.

It's a safe bet that the fryer is dedicated even in the mall because the chicken products need to cook at a different temperature than the potato products. I'd still ask though.

I've found that eating out gluten free is like a crash course in assertiveness training. At first I was very shy to talk to people at restaurants but it gets easier each time.

-Shannon

mrsry Rookie

I'll try that. The salad may be more worthwhile than eating the insides of a sandwich anyway.

On a somewhat related note, I had brunch with the in-laws today and asked for my food WITHOUT the toast, and of course the food showed up covered with toast! I said something about it, and they all looked at me like "what's wrong with you?" I felt like if I asked them to do it over, they would just pull it off and give it right back to me.

I'm pretty sure about the peanut oil, because my lips and mouth tingled the second I put them in my mouth. Also happens with Five Guys, which also uses peanut oil.

zarfkitty Explorer
On a somewhat related note, I had brunch with the in-laws today and asked for my food WITHOUT the toast, and of course the food showed up covered with toast! I said something about it, and they all looked at me like "what's wrong with you?" I felt like if I asked them to do it over, they would just pull it off and give it right back to me.

I definitely know that feeling. It has helped me to use a dining card. I also use the words "allergy" and "even a molecule" a lot. It's easier than explaining the details of celiac to a 20 year old wait person.

maryjk Newbie

If they look at you like that, you could have said, " I am sorry, but I have Celiac and even the smallest piece of bread will make me sick."

I also would have cut the meal a bit before sending it back. That way you know that you have a fresh meal. I also, other than one place I eat where everyone knows me, always ask to speak to the manager. It alerts him/her and also alerts your server. I always try to be kind, but firm.

Archived