This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stress Causing This?

barbara123

barbara123 Apprentice

I have a question for yall.

I have been gluten-free for about 2 months, doing alot better but still alot of ups and downs

My daughter (26) is a alcoholic and at this moment she is in alot of trouble with the law.. Had 2 dui's and one with a bad accident. I tried to get here tested because i understand alcoholic's have a greater chance of being celiac.. Anyhow, she's on the run now and there are numerous warrants out for her arrest. she wont come home (she has 3 kids 10,7,6) They are with her ex-husband. Only one of is his. She called a week ago, said she was going underground, she is not going back to jail. I am upset about this OF COURSE :( She is looking at 10=12 years because she keeps getting in trouble.Now I do not know where she is or even if she is ok? I am so stressed . I feel like I have been glutened over and over again. But not eating anything that is wrong. Changed pots and pans and all cooking utensils. Could stress be making this worse? please help with info. Cant go back to DR.until OCT 2 should i call him and go in anyways? I dont know what to do walking around crying, shaking, and mostly vomiting just like i ate wrong Thank you in advance BARB

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BettyL. Rookie
I have a question for yall.

I have been gluten-free for about 2 months, doing alot better but still alot of ups and downs

My daughter (26) is a alcoholic and at this moment she is in alot of trouble with the law.. Had 2 dui's and one with a bad accident. I tried to get here tested because i understand alcoholic's have a greater chance of being celiac.. Anyhow, she's on the run now and there are numerous warrants out for her arrest. she wont come home (she has 3 kids 10,7,6) They are with her ex-husband. Only one of is his. She called a week ago, said she was going underground, she is not going back to jail. I am upset about this OF COURSE :( She is looking at 10=12 years because she keeps getting in trouble.Now I do not know where she is or even if she is ok? I am so stressed . I feel like I have been glutened over and over again. But not eating anything that is wrong. Changed pots and pans and all cooking utensils. Could stress be making this worse? please help with info. Cant go back to DR.until OCT 2 should i call him and go in anyways? I dont know what to do walking around crying, shaking, and mostly vomiting just like i ate wrong Thank you in advance BARB

First I am sorry to hear about your daughter. I don't know for sure about alcohol; but my Mother Family were all alcoholics to the extend she didn't have much to do with them. She brought us up to be non-drinkers. I am positive that most of them celiac disease. yes, stress can have an effort on your stomach probelms. Not the cause but it will highlight your problems. It sounds like you have a lot of stress right now. Even if she is celiac disease that would not change her problems with the law. When I first went on the gluten-free diet I made a lot of mistakes. One was ice cream; I learn the hard not all ice cream is gluten-free. Now I read the labe of everything I buy. Good Luck and let us know it goes. Please have the strength to handle what you must.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes, alcoholism is another sign of a gluten problem. My brother is an alcoholic. Your daughter is grown now, she has made bad choices & she will have to pay for them. either in or out of prison. If she does prison at least she could be out in 10 years & start over, not bad considering she could live to be 80 or so & the sooner you start on a new path the sooner you gather the rewards of that new path. At least if she was in prison she could sober up & write to her children and manybe have phone calls (not sure on that depends on the state, i think).

Now to your choices, you can kill yourself with worry & regret & thinking that she has a disease (well, yes she probably does, but you cannot make her change the way she eats, most of us do not have an effect on our grown kids, they are going to eat what they want - & drink etc...) or you can make a choice to live a good life & to let a higher power be in charge of things that you cannot control. really, you should be happy that at least her children are being taken care of. Your daughter is probably a master manipulator of your feelings & guilt. Get over it, we all do better when we know better, it just takes some longer to know better...

Today is a new day for you, make the most of it. You cannot help your daughter but maybe you can keep yourself healthy & happy & help your grandchildren. Volunteer somewhere, do something positive for others with no reward forthcoming for yourself & you will feel happier.

You have to let your daughter go, you have no control over her...You can only control yourself..

barbara123 Apprentice
Sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes, alcoholism is another sign of a gluten problem. My brother is an alcoholic. Your daughter is grown now, she has made bad choices & she will have to pay for them. either in or out of prison. If she does prison at least she could be out in 10 years & start over, not bad considering she could live to be 80 or so & the sooner you start on a new path the sooner you gather the rewards of that new path. At least if she was in prison she could sober up & write to her children and manybe have phone calls (not sure on that depends on the state, i think).

Now to your choices, you can kill yourself with worry & regret & thinking that she has a disease (well, yes she probably does, but you cannot make her change the way she eats, most of us do not have an effect on our grown kids, they are going to eat what they want - & drink etc...) or you can make a choice to live a good life & to let a higher power be in charge of things that you cannot control. really, you should be happy that at least her children are being taken care of. Your daughter is probably a master manipulator of your feelings & guilt. Get over it, we all do better when we know better, it just takes some longer to know better...

Today is a new day for you, make the most of it. You cannot help your daughter but maybe you can keep yourself healthy & happy & help your grandchildren. Volunteer somewhere, do something positive for others with no reward forthcoming for yourself & you will feel happier.

You have to let your daughter go, you have no control over her...You can only control yourself..

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, Part of me knows that I have to let go, it hurts like crazy. The bad dreams, the wandering thoughts, (i wonder if she is ok) But I know you are all right. Maybe today will be a better day

oceangirl Collaborator

That is SO hard. I've worked for years with emotionally disturbed teens, many of whom have substance abuse issues and issues with the law. I'm also a mom so, it's hard for me to say this to you, but she probably needs to "fall harder" before she changes her ways. If she does. It's hard for me to watch teens who aren't my own go that way and to LET them, so I can imagine how painful it would be for you, but it's the only way. So you don't go crazy, maybe a group like Al-anon can help guide you a bit? She may come around- but it will be on her own time.

Peace to you.

lisa

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happening with your daughter.

Yes, stress could definitely make this worse. But I'd also suspect that you might have some hidden gluten lurking somewhere since you've only been at this two months. What about personal care products (lotions, shampoo), pet food, that bottle of ketchup that got contaminated a few months ago and you didn't realize it? Or the lipstick that is gluten-free but you used before diagnosis so it might have hidden gluten particles? You may also still be healing since two months isn't that long to heal if you think of how long you've had to damage your intestines. Good luck!

Archived