Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wendy.is.a.pirate.princess

I Need Pain Releivers: Any Suggestions?

Hi,

Before I knew I had trouble with gleuten, I was in intense pain all the time, I was in pain for so long, I thought everyone felt this way all the time and I made a habit of ignoring it. Can you beleive it?

But since I cut out wheat products, and things contaminated with wheat, I have experienced my first pain free days ever!

However, now that I am pain free most of the time, I realize what a pain in the booty my menstral cramps are. Man do they hurt!

I am having a hell of a time with menstral cramps, not to mention if I get a headache, I am pretty much screwed.

My doctor says that she does not know of any pain medications I can take that would not be totally overkill - she suggested some herbal stuff, but it is not cutting it.

Before I knew I had celiac issues, I took ibeuprofin. I heard that in Canada, they have meds that I can take, but that is the extent of my lead: meaning I have no idea what meds, where to get them or why they might be OK coming from out of Canada, much less how to order them.

Any help here? This is interfering with my ability to focus at work, to sleep and feel comfortable doing everyday things. And the worst part, is that this is going to continue to happen once a month for the rest of my life!!!

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

From Wendy

Hi, I take Extra Strength Tylenol, fast acting. It has helped MOST of the time. The other night I was in so much pain I was almost ready to take 2 more. But I wouldn't. Anyway, they help most of the time and they are gluten free.

The pain sucks, doesn't it? And is frustrating.

I take Excedrin for everything. I love it. It's not just for headaches but also for cramps, aches and pains etc. I usually just take one and see how I do, if I need more relief I take a second one and I'll be okay. Not sure if they are gluten free in Canada but I haven't had a problem with them in the States.

Hi,

Before I knew I had trouble with gleuten, I was in intense pain all the time, I was in pain for so long, I thought everyone felt this way all the time and I made a habit of ignoring it. Can you beleive it?

But since I cut out wheat products, and things contaminated with wheat, I have experienced my first pain free days ever!

However, now that I am pain free most of the time, I realize what a pain in the booty my menstral cramps are. Man do they hurt!

I am having a hell of a time with menstral cramps, not to mention if I get a headache, I am pretty much screwed.

My doctor says that she does not know of any pain medications I can take that would not be totally overkill - she suggested some herbal stuff, but it is not cutting it.

Before I knew I had celiac issues, I took ibeuprofin. I heard that in Canada, they have meds that I can take, but that is the extent of my lead: meaning I have no idea what meds, where to get them or why they might be OK coming from out of Canada, much less how to order them.

Any help here? This is interfering with my ability to focus at work, to sleep and feel comfortable doing everyday things. And the worst part, is that this is going to continue to happen once a month for the rest of my life!!!

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

From Wendy

Wendy,

Welcome to the Forum!

You mentioned that you have cut out wheat and things contaminated with wheat. You might need to go an extra step and be totally gluten free.

Being diagnosed with Celiac (and I assume that you have) you need to eliminate all wheat, malt, barley, rye and oats from your diet, and perhaps go dairy light of eliminate it all together for some time.

Many things that can hide gluten includes lipsticks, lotions, toothpaste, shampoos, medications....ie. anything that can get into your mouth needs to be checked for it's gluten free status.

Once that is achieved, perhaps your headaches may improve. I know several people with Celiac who get terrible migrains when glutened.

Tylenol - Extra Strength, Geltabs, Gelcaps, Tablets, Caplets... are all gluten free

Motrin - IB Caplets, IB Gelcaps, IB Tablets....are gluten free

Hope this helps.

Advil (ibuprofen) is apparently gluten free: http://advil.com/products/advil/advil.asp In Canada, apparently all Wyeth consumer health products are gluten free, as per this statement on the Advil.ca website:

2. Does Children's Advil contain gluten or is the product manufactured at the same site as another gluten containing product?

Wyeth Consumer Healthcare products are gluten-free

If you need something stronger for menstrual cramps, you could consider something like Ponstan (need a prescription): http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details....d=256&rot=4 As a teenager, I had cramps that regular pain meds would do nothing for...Ponstan worked really well for me.

Michelle

ibuprofen or naproxyn sodium are your best bet for over the counter pharmaceutical pain relief from menstrual cramps. otherwise, cox-2 inhibitors (they tend to be prescription, if they're primarily cox-2) are going to be the route to go. your doctor's comments about it being overkill seem... well, likely something you have to evaluate. I don't think that taking hard-core medications (I was using drugs for rheumatoid arthritis for a few months for menstrual cramps) for something that can literally take you out - if it's that bad - is necessarily overkill, but it depends on your situation.

anyway, reducing salt intake, increasing calcium and magnesium intake, and trying coQ10 can help so, iirc. not to mention getting regular exercise, starting to take pain killers at least two days *before* cramping is expected to start, and sex of some variety. (the uterine contraction that cases pain in menstrual cramping is partially short circuited with orgasm.)