This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Rashes

charolastra00

charolastra00 Newbie

So, I'm pretty positive that what I have is DH. I'm currently going through a horrible breakout and in researching it, I've come to believe that the little unseeable bumps on my scalp might be related as well. I have on and off gotten the bumps on my fingers (and similar bumps on my legs, but not as often and different looking) but right now is the first time that it has taken over my fingers and one of my palms and wrist to the point where it hurts to ball my fist. Even worse- I'm going on a 2 week vacation tomorrow and directly move into my dorm room the day after I come back! So no way to get to a doctor any time soon about it. I've been relatively gluten free for awhile- not because I was diagnosed with celiac disease but because I was told that even people not on the gluten sensitivity spectrum benefit from a gluten free diet. I just haven't been strict about it. I've dropped all gluten products from my diet since this outbreak 3 days ago (and checked all my cosmetics and shampoos) but it hasn't eased up yet.

However, for the past year I've had horrendous burning rashes covering my body until I managed to get them somewhat under control with allegra and zyrtec, both of which I have to take every day. I know I have a milk allergy which we thought was causing them, but cutting dairy out of my diet hasn't changed anything. My doctor thinks now that that rash might be due to something else as my skin and blood tests have been inconclusive (even saying that I was not allergic to dairy although there is no doubt that I am!). I don't know if I was tested for celiac but my doctor did call with my latest results for a blood test and said that something was off- I don't remember the name of the test but I didn't recognize it. However, he said it wasn't enough of an issue to worry until my next appointment in 2 months. Just wondering if anyone had other rashes or skin reactions other than DH in conjunction with celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi, I have celiacs -biopsy diagnosed. My 2 yr old has been struggling for a while. She was biopsied and results were inconclusive but the dr had us take her off all dairy. That made the rash go away initially. for her it seems this insanely itchy rach is related to allergies. When she accidentally gets dairy, the rash and diarrhea appear. well, after not seeing enough results on only the dairy free, I made her gluten-free as well a few weeks ago. We are already seeing changes in her. But, she into some gluten and back came the diahrea and the child will not stop scratching. Now the rash is on her scalp, which never happened before, and on her feet. She has not had this rash in months and now after a little gluten and barely gluten-free, the rash is back and she is miserable.

I wish I had better news for you, but when I have a reaction it takes about a week to start feeling normal again. I don't know how long the rash takes to feel better. I take bendryl (Allergy) and motrin (reduces inflammation) when I have a reaction and it seems to take the edge off, but nothing makes a reaction stop.

Hope you feel better soon!

charolastra00 Newbie

Do you think it's worth going to the hospital for? Like... I'm in for a 32 hour train ride on Tuesday that cannot be cancelled or postponed and it HURTS just to type this because my fingertips are covered and it's only getting worse. My doctor is only at his office where I can get to on Tuesdays so I won't be able to see him and there's an urgent care facility equipped to deal with non-emergencies like this steps from my apartment. I just want some relief from the itching and burning!

Green12 Enthusiast
Do you think it's worth going to the hospital for? Like... I'm in for a 32 hour train ride on Tuesday that cannot be cancelled or postponed and it HURTS just to type this because my fingertips are covered and it's only getting worse. My doctor is only at his office where I can get to on Tuesdays so I won't be able to see him and there's an urgent care facility equipped to deal with non-emergencies like this steps from my apartment. I just want some relief from the itching and burning!

What kind of a rash is it? Is it small little bumps like classic uticaria/hives? Or are they larger splotchy spots? Is there swelling in the areas you are breaking out? You said it burns, is there a lot of heat in the generating in the breakout areas, and are they painful?

It might be worth going to the ER, they might give you prednisone or depending on the severity of it an epinephrine shot.

charolastra00 Newbie

I was able to get prednisone from my doctor yesterday but so far no difference. It's little blisters all over my hands that looks like poison ivy, but there's no way I could have poison ivy as I've been indoors with a sunburn for a week from the beach and I live in a big city where I don't come across nature- and certainly not poison ivy- often. Less heat is being generated now due to the prednisone I think, but it still burns and itches. The only thing that helps is aloe and I have to spray that on every 10 minutes. The swelling is also down except for in the joints of my hands. The blisters are all about the same size- there are not that are bigger than the ball on a ball point pen.

I also get hives and large splotchy blots frequently that my doctor has no idea where they come from though. They're not particularly present now.

What kind of a rash is it? Is it small little bumps like classic uticaria/hives? Or are they larger splotchy spots? Is there swelling in the areas you are breaking out? You said it burns, is there a lot of heat in the generating in the breakout areas, and are they painful?

It might be worth going to the ER, they might give you prednisone or depending on the severity of it an epinephrine shot.

Green12 Enthusiast
I was able to get prednisone from my doctor yesterday but so far no difference. It's little blisters all over my hands that looks like poison ivy, but there's no way I could have poison ivy as I've been indoors with a sunburn for a week from the beach and I live in a big city where I don't come across nature- and certainly not poison ivy- often. Less heat is being generated now due to the prednisone I think, but it still burns and itches. The only thing that helps is aloe and I have to spray that on every 10 minutes. The swelling is also down except for in the joints of my hands. The blisters are all about the same size- there are not that are bigger than the ball on a ball point pen.

I also get hives and large splotchy blots frequently that my doctor has no idea where they come from though. They're not particularly present now.

Bless your heart! Hives and skin rashes are tricky, if not impossible, to pin point the cause. You said you were inside and recovering from a sunburn? Some hive reactions are triggered by the sun, or heat and sun induced, so that could very well be a possibility.

From what I understand prednisone might take a couple days for everything to go away, if it helps at all. SOme people don't respond to it.

Did your dr recommend antihistamines at all?

dadoffiveboys Rookie

I've gotten rashes very similar to what you described (except not as severe ever)... I take Allegra constantly and it helps with the itching some. Mine WERE caused by Gluten allergy.. but I don't have 'dh' so to speak (I'm not sure the differences). Mine were small bumps like uticaria.. but the bumps like you described I get as a 'heat rash' - ie if you got sunburned that would explain why they are bad! The 'heat rash' was caused by gluten though and allergies - when I take allegra and don't eat gluten I don't get them.

I hope this helps! BTW- those medicines - and I tried every type of corticosteroid and antibiotic - never did ANYTHING to stop/get rid of/treat it - you just had to bear it :( :( :(

Also.. they went through every disease and sickness and.. you know.. I FOUND OUT MYSELF by going gluten-free what it was :(.. sad sad sad

BTW - in my blood tests.. the only abnormality was my IgA Gliadin was equivocal and elevated (which prompted me to try a gluten-free diet and find this forum)... GOOD THING IT DID!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived